News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Powder Coating an Air Cleaner

Started by Jeff Wilk, February 27, 2012, 09:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Wilk

Curious about viewpoints on having the air cleaner on my 59 Cadillac Tri-Power dipped and powder coated, or stripped (some how) and painted.  Any ball park ideas on cost for the powder coating route and who does it in or near NJ?  We started to use a wire wheel to strip it and that will not work due to all of the ins and outs of this air cleaner.. Advice appreciated.
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

David King (kz78hy)

I use a local hot rod shop that does a great job in Warren, MI.  You should be able to find a similar shop around you.  Media blast and match the color you like.  I did a lot of suspension parts on my car with great results.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Scott Anderson CLC#26068

Towards locating a powder coating shop near you, they may well be in the more industrial districts of town. I don't know that that's real helpful as I write this figuring of course that you've done searches for 'powder coating (your specific area) new jersey' and are mostly interested in recommendations of good shops and folks' experiences with them.

In any case, one caveat. As David writes 'media blast'...My local shop for example only does sandblasting. For some parts that is perfectly acceptable of course - I plan to do my engine fan, and possibly my wheels, and for some more delicate ones it may not be as the coarseness of the media may mar the part's material. Also I've read other threads about sandblasting getting sand into crevices one didn't know they had on the parts, which may be an issue for an air cleaner so you don't introduce grit into the motor. I don't know about how healthy the material on your air cleaner setup is but something to consider.

Hope this is helpful.
Scott
1941 Cadillac 6267X Convertible Coupe
2014 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

62droptop

the powder coating is durable as old hell, but very difficult to touch up a scratch
unless the part in questions surface has absolutely no imperfections, i would paint it as  you can prime and fill any irregularities but when you powder coat you cannot
any imperfections will stand out in a powder coat ,specially if it is a dark colour like black

as far as stripping old finish, a good quality paint stripper and stiff bristle brush to loosen once it has softened will work well, just make sure wearing protective gear as paint stripper will burn on your skin or eyes(this one really hurts, i know )
also a power washer to blast the paint off also works well when the stripper has loosened the paint

76eldo

Don't wreck that valuable air cleaner!

Soda blasting or glass beading will get you down to a bare metal and then as posted previously, you can work on any imperfections with a little body filler.

The color is kind of a gold with slight metallic in it.  Maybe someone has the paint code.  I have a great guy near me that can spray any parts I bring him.  If you can find the proper spray paint, you may be able to do it yourself.

If the part is pristine and needs no repairs at all, powdercoat is a great option, if they have the color available.

Good luck, please post photos.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Gene Beaird

When I was searching for the color for the air cleaner top for our 68 Calais, I came across a post that indicated it was close to a Sherwin Williams color, 'drama gold'  paint code 51525.  I had my local parts house load up a rattle can using that code, and it was very close.  Close enough for me, and probably anyone who will look at the car. 

No idea if that color is close to yours, but something to consider.
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

David King (kz78hy)

I posted that info regarding the Drama Gold.  It is a match or very, very close to the 57 & 58 Eldorado valve covers and air cleaners.  I don't know for other years, but would guess the 59 & 60 used the same for the air cleaner.  I was informed that the valve covers were not painted gold on 59 & 60.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

R Sotardi #11719

Jeff, I do not know the innner construction of the 59 air cleaners, only the 1950 that I have. But I went to my friend who owns a powder coating shop with the two Twin-H air cleaners on my Hornet. Many air cleaners have  "fiber"  noise insulation pads fused on the inside of the cannisters for sound deadening. The high heat needed for powder coating will pulverize the pads. We almost went into the ovens with the cleaners and at the last moment he looked closer and saw the pads. I painted them with a single stage urethane instead. Also paint is easier to make repairs as previously stated.