News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

front window removal 1940 spxity special

Started by pauldridge, March 26, 2012, 02:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauldridge

Is there a body manual for the '40 60S?  I have shop manual, but no body.  Need to remove the entire front window FRAME and glass as the lower glass strip to regulator bar needs repair and I have new frame inserts for the glass. 

My problems are two-fold:

1)  The upper stud that secures the window frame to the door (aft edge of door) doesn't easily want to clear its hole to allow that side of the frame to pull out

2)  The vent window crank mechanism won't clear its upper opening in the door frame, prevent THAT side from pulling up more than about 1" or so.

Help, I'm really stuck.

Wonder if anyone might have removal/install instructions for removing the entire window frame mechanism?
Phil Auldridge
Austin, TX
1940 60S as well as MGA, Stingray, '39 Ford Coupe, BMW 3.0 CS, '59 Jaguar, '51 Hudson Hornet, '64 and '70 Mercedes roadsters, and Nash-Healey LeMans Coupe
[img]http://www.auldridge.org/images/hdricon.jpg[/img]

Steve Passmore

Paul, you can remove the regulator without removing the entire window.  After you have removed the window moldings, handles, arm rest, and door panel, you will see 4 screws holding the regulator in place, another 4 tiny screws holding the sliding channel to the bottom of the glass channel at each far end, and two more holding another short channel that is the fulcrum for the regulators second arm (you cant see this one just its screws as its inside the panel) when all these are removed the regulator will drop to the bottom of the door. The same system was used on GM cars for years.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Paul Phillips

I believe the 40 60S is the same as my 41 60S. The divider bar between the vent and main glass is removed from the window frame to enable the glass to be removed.  The lower attach point is visible, the upper attach point is hidden under the window channel.  Look for a screw inside the frame, just behind the divider.  With the glass out, you can remove the old supprt channel, remount the glass in your new channel with setting tape, and reinstall.  This is also a great time to replace the guide channel.  That is possibly easier to do with the window frame out, which you can now do with the glass out of the way.

If this is not clear, I think I have a photo I can post later.

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

pauldridge

Paul,

Thanks.  After a sleepless night of anxiety over this last night, I got up with a fresh outlook and starting looking over the whole setup, and discovered, by dumb luck, as you had described, that one screw that holds the very top of the center window channel to the top of the frame (just aft of the vent window).  Then there is just the lower adjusting screw for the bottom of the center channel.  Turn it CCW until that screw comes out of the lower channel, then with the window down, push the lower end of the channel forward, the upper end toward the rear of the door, and it gives enough clearance to slip the glass out the bottom (after disconnecting the regulator bar from the bottom of the glass, of course.. 2 screws on each side).

Once the glass was out, then we found the frame was flexible enough to be able to clear that stud on the aft channel at the top of the door, and enough clearance to remove the vent crank mechanism.
Phil Auldridge
Austin, TX
1940 60S as well as MGA, Stingray, '39 Ford Coupe, BMW 3.0 CS, '59 Jaguar, '51 Hudson Hornet, '64 and '70 Mercedes roadsters, and Nash-Healey LeMans Coupe
[img]http://www.auldridge.org/images/hdricon.jpg[/img]