News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Grace Kelly's Eldoradu Brougham?

Started by veesixteen, April 02, 2012, 12:53:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

veesixteen

The car [photo] is a 67 DeVille convertible. Its owner: multi-zillionaire Mohamed Bin Sulayem of Abu Dhabi in the Persian Gulf.
I found this story in the German magazine, "Top", for Fall 2008 and translated this excerpt into English:
START QUOTE - Mohammed Bin Sulayem no longer is interested in supersports cars; now his passion is for classic cars. “Come,” he says, “Let me show you something.” He leads us two floors down an inconspicuous staircase to the basement. He switches on the lights and we are dazzled by the brightness inside a bare garage. “Nobody knows about this place except the people who work for me,” he says, and proudly presents his collection of over 40 classic cars, each one looking as good as new. He buys these jewels from museums and car collectors, especially Cadillacs and more especially low-mileage cars. “Here, this one belonged to Grace Kelly [[I wonder if it is the Eldorado Brougham that was offered on Craig's list, some months back]], that one to Lyndon B. Johnson.” There is also a superb 1959 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz which, at the time, cost more than a Rolls-Royce [
[[I think he probably was referring here to the Eldorado Brougham]]; "345 HP, power steering, automatically dipping headlights, power seats and window lifts, even the record player works!" Ben Sulayem then makes a bee-line for a car for which he was offered $800,000 … but he declined. “I love these cars; they are not just toys." Now, if you spy an old Cadillac, at night, on the streets of Dubai, chances are you’ll find a smiling Mohammed Bin Sulayem at the wheel - no chauffeur here. END QUOTE

If anyone has nore details (perhaps even a photo), please let me know.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Within the last two years a friend of mine sold that man a 1970 Coupe deVille with ~13,000 miles. Car was olive green metallic with beige brocade interior and it was as new.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Davidinhartford

It just goes to show you that the love of classic cars crosses all walks of life.   

Age, race and religion just don't matter when you share that bond.    What a wonderful world it could be.

Rich S

As for "Grace Kelly's Eldorado Brougham"--I've read before that her father, from Philadelphia's "Main Line" section, had a White Eldorado Brougham with White and Black interior. Perhaps that is the car being shown?
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

Alan Harris CLC#1513

By 1957, Grace had married the prince and moved to Monaco. I have read that she was a terrible driver and didn't like cars very much.

In about 1965, I saw her coming out of Wanamaker's department store in Philadelphia. She was wearing dark glasses and a mink coat. She got into the back seat of a 1963 dark blue Sedan De Ville and was driven away. An impressive sight!

Her father, John B. Kelly, started out as a bricklayer. The family lived in East Falls, which is a Philadelphia neighborhood. He considered himself a working man his entire life and was never accepted into high society. He would have taken umbrage at being called "main line".