News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Old cars is the new cool

Started by waterzap, March 28, 2012, 10:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterzap

But we all know that.....

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/03/generation-why-jeep-old-man-truck-pinterest-vintage-cars/

I especially like this part

"If you buy Jack Baruth’s argument that luxury is having something other people don’t/can’t, a classic car is quite the luxury.
Generic reliable/acceptable transportation is easily attainable.
A ’64 Falcon costs as much as a decent used Corolla to buy, but ownership requires time and resources that are hard to come by"
Leesburg, AL

Gene Beaird

Heh, then my wife and I are _really_ cool!!  Our newest is our 02 GMC we used to tow the 85 Firebird race car around with. 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

waterzap

Leesburg, AL

Richman

They are indeed cool. Whenever I am driving and pass some cute young girl, she turns and smiles until she sees the old fart behind the wheel.  ;D

speach

My wife told me that my daughter is just like me, that I have a need to be seen and heard. I denied it jokingly, but truly
these cars demand double takes. I was at a gas station yesterday and had one offer to buy and three people come over to talk to me about it. Its a magnet for attention. I am a design freak so I mostly love the art of the cars, which then makes me continuously rebel against the norm of the average.   
Current cars:
1986 Military Chevrolet Diesel G30 Box Van
1968 Conv DeVille
1989 Toyota SpaceCruiser

You cant take your car with you in the end so drive the dang thing.

WilliamTrausch

Cadillac Nut

Hmmm, interesting article.   But most of the younger people I run into still love their modern plastic techno boxes and couldn't care less about old cars.  Richman--Your comment really cracked me up!!!  Quite true.  ;D or maybe :'( would be more appropriate....

;) Garrett

The Tassie Devil(le)

It is really cool when I am driving my '72 Eldo, and the person who pulls up next to me glances down and reads the 8.2 Litre badge on the front fender, then remembers that his car is about 7 or 8 times smaller.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

D2

Great Thread, Folks.  Every time I get gas for the 70 Convertible requires time for conversations.  Most guys (an occasional girl) will come over to ask what year it is and talk about a car their parents had or one they had but sold years back.  It is always enjoyable talking about the car and listening to other peoples' stories.  We all depart with smiles and a good feeling about yesteryear.  Glad it's cool!

Dennis Dascenzo
Dennis Dascenzo
1960 Eldorado Biarritz
1970 DeVille Convertible
Director - West Michigan Region

curly

If I had a nickel for every person who has told me a story about the 59 Cad that they/their parents/freinds/etc had,   I'd have a lot of nickels!!

T Lewis

speach

People have to smile when they see these cars. I love that!
Current cars:
1986 Military Chevrolet Diesel G30 Box Van
1968 Conv DeVille
1989 Toyota SpaceCruiser

You cant take your car with you in the end so drive the dang thing.

WilliamTrausch

waterzap

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on April 01, 2012, 10:01:56 PM
It is really cool when I am driving my '72 Eldo, and the person who pulls up next to me glances down and reads the 8.2 Litre badge on the front fender, then remembers that his car is about 7 or 8 times smaller.

Bruce. >:D

Some of us only have the smaller (hopefully) fuel efficient 7 liters, or heaven forbid, the 5.7 liters.
Leesburg, AL

John Barry [CLC17027]

I've found that my '40 LaSalle sedan particularly attracts / gets approval from two groups.  One: kids, mostly of the elementary school age, especially boys.  That I can sort of understand.  Two: bikers--and I mean the no-kidding Harley bikers, more than a few of which are wearing club colors.  That one, I don't quite get, but I sure won't argue: kind of cool to get a grin and a thumbs-up from one of those dudes.
John Barry (CLC 17027)
Now-retired editor/Publisher of the Valley Forge Region newsletter, The Goddess
1940 La Salle series 50 four door sedan

gary griffin

I am no longer in the first catagory but have been in the second (Biker) since 1956 and most of the gear is for show. At Sturgis you would think I was hard core or on the street also but when my beard is shaved off (about 50% of the time) you would recognize me as a business man and old car enthuisast. Biker is pretty broad catagory and the movie "Wild Hogs" is a pretty accurate depiction of a large majority of the group.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Chris Conklin

Quote from: Richman on March 29, 2012, 11:59:57 PM
They are indeed cool. Whenever I am driving and pass some cute young girl, she turns and smiles until she sees the old  behind the wheel.  ;D

I used to always get green with envy seeing the older guy with a pretty young girl cruising by in a nice car. I aspired to become that guy and give the next generation something to ogle and envy. I've since discovered that the pretty young girl sitting next to that old guy was his daughter. So, lucky me, I've been blessed with two beautiful young women to drive around with!
Chris Conklin

Chip Hodges

Early yesterday evening, before the sun had set, I took my '76 Eldorado Convertible out for a drive.  I was sitting at a stop sign and there was a young family in a mini- van turning in front of me.  The dad honked his horn, gave me a thumbs up,  and all four of them, dad, the wife, and two kids were smiling and waving at me like crazy.  I love it when my car makes other people smile.

On a side note, my other passion is Jeeps.  I have two, and one is highly modified for off roading.  It is good to see that Chrysler under Fiat appears to be respecting the heritage of the Jeep.  I really, really hope something close to the J-12 goes into production.