News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Control Arm Upper Shaft Removal/Replacement

Started by Jeff Wilk, April 11, 2012, 09:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Wilk

How hard is it to replace the Upper Control Arm Shaft?  Unbolting it on the upper control arm looks simple, but will the entire arm come flying up/out if the front coil spring is not compressed or something first?  Somehow it just looks too easy to me which tells me I am missing something potentially dangerous to be unaware of.....

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

curly

Upper shaft isn't hard to do. Raise the vehicle, remove the tire.  Support the lower control arm with a jack stand, disconnect the upper ball joint and remove the upper shaft bolts from the frame.  Remove the arm from the vehicle and make your repairs.

The weight of the vehicle resting on the stand will prevent the spring from expanding much, if at all.  I did my 59 that way.  It was pretty straight forward, easy in and out.

T Lewis

Glen

As a safety measure; wrap a chain through the spring and the center of the lower control arm.  Put a bolt through the links of the chain.  This will prevent the spring flying out and bouncing around the place.  It probably wont stop it from popping out of place but it will minimize the damage, if any. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104