News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Diffrence between cowl tag and build sheet

Started by RalfK, June 06, 2012, 04:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RalfK

Hi all, my name is Ralf Keiser, I come from Cologne, Germany. First of all, my English ist not the best, but I hope you will understand what I mean.

My car: A 1970 Coupe de Ville, bayberry, white vinyl top, 50,500 mls on it.

This is the cowl tag of the car:

2nd row: TR 344 means Med. God Dynasty, thats correct. "59" means the paint, bayberry, also correct. Then the "J". What stands this for? I expect there a "1", for the white vinyl top. On the build sheet is a "1" at this place.
3rd row: 02C: 3rd Week in Feb., that´s correct, build sheet says Production Date Feb. 25th. The options: E Y S K N
E: Soft ray glass, Y: 6-way power seat, K: Climate control, N: Shoulder belts front (this are Standard at 1970) 
The "S": Stands for Dual comfort seat. But the car isn´t equipped with this. It do has the remote trunk control and in 69 the "S" stands for this option.

The options from the build sheet: Y 59 1 E R W Q T K D and Radio 2. This is all correct. Do not all options appear on the cowl tag?

Then the protect-o-plate: This says Y1QT2KR   What means the "1"?  "2" is the radio? Why do the E and K miss?

Last, but not least: The car has a cruise control. It seems it isn´t original from the factory. Was it possible to attach this option additional by the dealer? Was this common practice in the seventies?   By the way: it still works fine!

So, I hope someone can explain me the diffrences and forgive me my "English"

Thank you and best regards from Germany

Ralf
Ralf Kaiser
Germany

1970 Coupe de Ville

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Hello Ralf- Although I'm no a expert on 1969 but I can tell you that "J" is the alpha code for Coupe deVille. Also Cruise Control could be dealer installed throughout a number of years. As far as the data plate goes-  inconsistencies are common between what's on the data plate and what's on the build sheet- such as in cases where certain options were standard equipment on a given model, other times when equipment/power groups were ordered. I've never quite figured out Cadillac's method to their madness and someone with more expertise on the subject may have more info. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Ralf,
The J on your data plate means the same as a 1, white vinyl. The S may well be power trunk. We need someone to confirm it. If it was a split seat, the S would be after the trim code. I just verifyed that myself. Not all options appear on the data plate. It never shows tilt wheels,cruise controlles, posi read ends as an example, Hope this helps.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

The Tassie Devil(le)

One question is:   "Is only what is optional and fitted at the factory only appearing on the Plate"?

As What is "Standard fitment" for that model therefore shouldn't appear as optional?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

RalfK

Hi all,

@Eric: Thank you for the information of the cruise control

@ Bob: Yeah, I also found this information: J white, K black, L dark blue, M beige, N bayberry and R dark brown.

Thank you all for your help

Ralf
Ralf Kaiser
Germany

1970 Coupe de Ville