News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Heat riser

Started by jst, June 27, 2012, 07:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jst

Hi
Can someone tell me exactly how a heat riser works on a dual exhaust system such as on the 1952-1955 Cadillac ? What is the route of the exhaust when the damper is closed ? I don't understand how it goes to the carburetor and where it goes after passing the carb. Thanks
Joe T
CLC #27640
USMC  63-68
1953 Cadillac series 62 COUPE

TJ Hopland

I dont know that car or vintage specifically but the typical design is there is a exhaust passage in both heads that connects to a cross over passage in the intake that passes under the carb.   When the exit flow is blocked in one of the exhaust manifolds it forces the exhaust from the blocked side through the crossover to then escape into the other head / manifold / exhaust.    In later years this was also the passage they used for the egr. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

jst

If the damper was stuck shut, could it cause the engine to overheat after a short while of driving ?
Joe T
CLC #27640
USMC  63-68

TJ Hopland

If the damper was stuck shut it would cause the one side to be restricted which would cause those cylinders to run at a higher than normal temp.  It would cause more than usual temps in the intake and carb.  I would imagine it would also slightly raise the temps in the other head.   If everything was factory fresh I doubt it would make a huge difference but at this age if you factor in the normal efficiency losses in the system and then add extra load to it I could see it causing overheating.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Caddy Wizard

Stuck heat riser would make the car run a little hotter, but would really heat up the carb and lead to vapor lock/percolation problems.  It also should make it slightly imbalanced, as one side will be breathing easier than the other.  But that would be hard to notice.

I have a few 49-56 spacers left to eliminate the valve.  $26 including postage.

Art G
404 375 3750
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

jst

Hi Art
Email sent
Joe T
CLC #27640
USMC  63-68

R Sotardi #11719

Caddy Wizard

Joe T,

I didn't get an email from you.  Please re-send.

Art G
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

jst

Hi
Email sent again through forum Email. Just in case   jusmct@att.net
Joe T
CLC #27640
USMC  63-68

jst

Would it hurt anything to completely block off the passover port going to the other manifold and do away with all that extra heat in the middle of the engine ?
Joe T
CLC #27640
USMC  63-68

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Joe T,

That is what I did on my 53 Cadillac. I had Olson Gaskets (Info@olsonsgaskets.com) make me new intake manifold gaskets that blocked the crossover ports. I then added a phenolic spacer between the carburetor and the manifold. Starts about the same but reduced the problem with the hot start demons as discussed in the SS.

John Washburn
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Raymond919

John,
I've been following your various comments and articles here and in the SS about the hot start problems since I own a '49 series 62. May I ask how thick was the phenolic spacer gasket you got for under the carburetor? Did Olson Gaskets make the phenolic gasket as well as the intake manifold gasket for you? My hot start problem isn't so severe but it does exist. I'd like to address it.
Ray Schuman

Ray,

I also added a phenolic spacer to my 1949. I used a 1/4" spacer with a gasket on top and one on the bottom. You can also get 1/2" spacer. 1949 starts much better when hot.

Go to e-bay and search for "phenolic spacer" you will find many variations. Stromberg, Carter, and Rochester spacer will fit the 49. Some come with a kit, both gaskets and the longer studs.

If you have a hydromatic you might have to readjust the TV rods for shifting due to the extra length, with the 1/4" spacer I did not have to readjust.

Good Luck

John Washburn
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille

Yikes,

It should read TV rod and height of the spacer...

jw
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille

Raymond919

Thank you, John, for that information. I'll go looking for it.

I'm not sure what previous owners of my car did, but the TV rod is slightly short (by about 3/4"). Checking it carefully, it appears that the bends in it are not neat, clean factory bends. I suspect it had been removed and slightly bent to make it short, perhaps. I plan to remove it and slightly bend it to the correct curvature making it about 3/4" longer. In this way I can complete that adjustment per the shop manual. If I'm treading where I shouldn't go, please yell at me. I don't plan to do this for at least another week or so, however. The tranny shifts just a slight bit harsh only in certain gears but very smoothly in others.

Thanks again and keep up those great articles,
Ray Schuman

jst

John
Did your phenolic spacer have a gasket on either side and also, did you use gasket sealer (permatex) ? Also, did you get the phenolic from Olsen Gaskets ? Thanks
PS Great suggestion. According to Olsen, blocking off the exhaust manifold crossover is done quite often.
Joe T
CLC #27640
USMC  63-68

Joe T,

I think I answered your questions in my earlier post, except on using sealant. Nope no sealant usede.

john W
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille