News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

My 57 Series 62 - Still stalling

Started by TBZ_57_Series_62, July 29, 2012, 09:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TBZ_57_Series_62

I was having problems with my caddy stalling and thought it may have being the carb pipe since it stalls after the car has been running for a while. So I repaired the Carburetor pipe and it seem to be better, but today after running the engine for some it and then testing my recent brake adjustment - it stalled and did not want to start back up. Just beforehand, it sounded almost like it wanted to backfire... It wasn't backfiring, but it had a soft "puff" sound ever so often from the exhaust.

It's a 57' Series 62 with a Rochester Carb.

It acts like it loses fuel, but the fuel filter (glass bowl) shows fuel... What might be the possible problem? Could it be the Fuel Pump, should I rebuild or is it more likely something else?

I appreciate your help.

T.Zahnke

Dave Shepherd

Lots'a might be's here, when it won't start can you see fuel squirting in the carb when pumping the throttle looking down the carb of course. If so fuel is not the issue. Do yo have strong spark when this occurs? These are basic diagnostic steps for a no start.

Walter Youshock

What sort of shape is the carb in--recently rebuilt?  Are you bringing it back to life after a long rest (stored many years)?  It could be dirt in the carb, maybe a stuck or sunk float, or a lot of other issues.

The Rochesters were BEARS in '57.  I finally swapped mine to a Carter and would never go back.  Save yourself time, money and aggravation:  have it rebuilt.  I used Daytona Parts Co. www.daytonaparts.com and it was the best investment I made.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham