News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1970 DeVilles; which exterior colors were allowed with which interior colors?

Started by J.C., August 06, 2012, 04:00:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.C.

I'm working on a custom scale model of a 1970 Cadillac Hardtop Sedan DeVille.  I've found all the exterior colors, all the vinyl top colors, and all the interior fabric colors that were offered that year.  But how can I determine which exterior, top, and interior colors were allowed to go together?  I assume, for instance, that Cadillac would have refused a buyers' request to paint a car Condor Blue Metallic, put a Bayberry vinyl top on it, and have the interior be Antique Dark Brown leather...or, would they?  I've looked through the various databases, and I've been online for about 4 1/2 hours, and I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  Maybe I'm just missing something simple.  I'd appreciate any help.  Thanks!
2023 Genesis G80 Electrified
2023 Volvo V60 Recharge

Rich S

As an enthusiast for the 1970's Cadillacs, I do not think there ever was a restriction on what colors could be ordered together. Fortunately, I don't think anyone ever chose the combination you proposed--but regrettably, a few less tasteful combinations were made. Later, Cadillac made "recommendations" of interior, exterior, roof and accent stripe combinations, in the data books provided to dealers.

At your convenience, please post a picture of the custom Scale Model 1970 Sedan deVille!!! Is it 1:25th scale, such as the Jo-Han promotional model cars (or what scale)? Thanks!
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

936CD69

From the GM Heritage center website: http://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-heritage-archive/docs/Cadillac/1970_Cadillac_VVI.pdf

This a large download in PDF format, scroll to page 14 to find color trim recommendations.....

or post which exterior colors you are using and I'll look it up for you.

Cadillac would vary from the recommendations if someone insisted, and the dealer marked the order "color trim sure". Later they started using an edit override code, but even then there were certain combos that they refused to build.

HTH,

Craig
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

Bob Steur

Craig, thanks for this link! People used to pay hundreds for these data books...

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I have never heard of the refusal of the factory to accede to the customer's ordering preference until now. However, I do know of one case in which the dealer required up-front payment for the car in full before the order would be placed for one 1977 Fleetwood Brougham. The customer agreed and duly got his Sovereign Gold Caddy with Dk Green Vinyl roof & Sage Green Florentine cloth interior.  :o  A buddy wound up with it in the early '90s and it was mint. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

936CD69

Up thru the 70's almost every data book stresses that the factory wanted the customer to follow their recommendations, but I don't believe they would refuse to build any combination. Many of the books do cite the need to state "color, trim sure" on the order so the factory wouldn't think it was a mistake. Gold with green? yuck! Sounds almost as bad as the brown and gold S-10 with red interior our nearly blind sales manager ordered a few years back!
Later car orders used a D60 edit override code to order ugly... but for example the override would not work to order a different color vinyl top than the lower color on 89-93 Sedan deVilles, even with monotone paint. It's fascinating what you can learn when you're researching an authenticity manual. I do know of a 93 Sixty Special that was Dark Plum and white leather with black accents. The owner is quite proud of the D60 code on the SPID label!
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

Davidinhartford

Exactly.   There were recommendations in the Sales managers ordering book,  but no restrictions.   Just a few warnings to avoid unpopular color combinations unless it was triple verified with the buyer.   But the factory would build anything.     The local dealer however would often require a significant, non refundable  deposit up front incase the buyer backed out of the purchase.   No dealer wanted to get stuck with a bad color combo in inventory if the deal went sour.

I had a Bombay yellow 75 Eldorado convertible that was ordered (not by me) with a Jasper green leather interior and white top.   That was not a recommended color combo, plus three color mixes were also not recommended.  It was recommended that the top match the body or interior color.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: 936CD53 on August 07, 2012, 06:47:19 PM
The owner is quite proud of the D60 code on the SPID label!

It's official- D60 shall be known as the ugly-override code!

*One footnote to the gold/green '77 Brougham. My buddy got the car for next to nothing even though it was a #2- original condition. He had the roof spray-dyed...Sovereign Gold to match the body. What a difference it made- the car actually looked pretty good.

Curious thing- Sovereign Gold, Thyme Green met & Bimini Beige (pink-peach) vinyl roofs were only supposed to be available on Seville only in '77.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute