News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Bitten by the Cadillac bug!

Started by Sean Roe, August 06, 2012, 07:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean Roe

Hi Everyone,
I’ve been bitten by the Cadillac bug in a big way and over the last few months have become the proud owner of three 1959 models (plus one parts car). I’m looking forward to joining the club and learning what I can about these great cars.
One question I have, were there ever any metal VIN tags in the door jambs of 1959, or were there only the lube tags with the engine number? One of the cars is missing its tag and none have metal tags like I’m accustomed to seeing.
Thanks in advance!
Sean

Jeff Wilk

Sean, welcome to the club!  Three '59 Cadillacs wow that's the way to jump in. It is only the lubrication tag on the doorjamb. The VIN tags are metal and located on the Cowl on the driver side just below the grill at the windshield.  The cowl tag will have your VIN and other important information such as body style paint code and trim code and options codes.  Get all of that information and post it here and people will be able to identify for you what your car originally had and what colors and trim it originally was. Also get yourself a copy of the shop manual it is perhaps the most valuable source you will ever have… Of course with the exception of this forum which is priceless

Congratulations.

"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Chris Conklin

You're my hero! Welcome!! One thing on the data plates (cowl tags) for '59... I think there were some models that had the tag on a cross member at the drive side front of the car. Somebody will correct me, but I've seen some cars with the tag "up front" like this.
Chris Conklin

Jeff Wilk

My MISTAKE!!!!  I stand corrected.......Working on too many cars at once. 

The tag at the cowl on '59s is the BODY tag and it does NOT show the VIN. It does show the rest.  The VIN is only on the lubrication plate on the door jamb and stamped into the top of the drivers side frame rail at the very front  it may also be on the engine block drivers side right above the oil pan behind the exhaust manifold.

As for a tag on the front cross member, or radiator support. These were carried over from 1958 but were discontinued during the 1959 production year. Not sure when though. I believe these were called identification tags.  Hope this helps

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Sean Roe

Thanks for the info and clearing up my question about metal VIN plates. All three running cars have been repainted and I was a little nervous that someone may have removed the plates at some point.
It was a little tricky at first, but I found the frame number stamps and the engine numbers as well. The four door does not have the same engine number as the VIN, so it's been replaced at some point.
The convertible is the one missing the lube tag. It had a reproduction shop manual in the trunk with some spare oil filters, etc. I'm sure that will come in handy soon enough.
I have plenty of projects ahead  :D

76eldo

Wow...

A convertible, A coupe and a flat top sedan?

That's the way to kick off a collection!  Congrats to you.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

D2

Hi Sean,

Welcome to the club.  you'll get all the help you want through your local region and this forum.  Get active and enjoy the camaraderie. 

Dennis
Dennis Dascenzo
1960 Eldorado Biarritz
1970 DeVille Convertible
Director - West Michigan Region