News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

346 flathead lifters 41-48???

Started by kkarrer, August 15, 2012, 10:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkarrer

Hello!
     I'm giving my lifters a cleaning and check and found that two of them didn't have springs on the ends.  This concerned me until the fellow at Terrill Machine told me that Cadillac switched the lifter style in '48 to a lifter that didn't incorporate the spring at the end.  I'd never heard that one, but those guys know their stuff.  There are only two that are different (48's) in my engine and I'm wondering if I should just switch them out with new ones from Terrill so that all of them are the same (41) type?  Any information on this would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ken Karrer 1941 6227D coupe

Steve Passmore

You learn something new every day, I v never seen them without springs, that would have to have been one year only.  I dismantled a 48 engine years back and they all had springs?  Id replace them all.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

kkarrer

Steve,
      Yes, I just confirmed with Terrill Machine that there was a lifter body change in late 1948 and that there were no springs at the tops of those lifters.  They do apparently interchange, but I'm going to replace the two that were in there as you suggest.
Thanks,

harry s

Ken,
     As Terrill confirmed there was a change made during 48. My 48 is a late model and has the "unit" type lifters. I had a complete set of NOS unit lifters and put them in a 39 LaSalle rebuild a few years ago. They worked fine. It is probably a good idea to go one way or the other.  Here's a picture from the 48 shop manual.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Bob Schuman

Ken,
My 41 has a late 48 engine, and in 1979 while doing a valve job I replaced the later style lifters with the earlier style(that's all I could find), keeping the same lifter bodies that ride on the cam. After about 40000 miles since then, they work fine. What I did is the reverse of Harry's change. I believe there was a Cadillac bulletin that said such a change is not advisable. Incidentally, Cadillac issued postwar bulletins stating that war surplus military engines were not suitable for passenger cars. I guess all the guys using those engines in their cars better look for replacements. Cadillac also issued a bulletin stating the 1952 power steering system was not adaptable to earlier cars. Gee, my 51 coupe with a 52 power steering system seems fine to me.
Bob Schuman,CLC#254
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

harry s

Bob, I remember at the time reading in the MCBP book their recommendation to service the 48 engines with the type lifter they were originally fitted with. The set of unit lifters I had included the bodies also. Most of the bodies in the LaSalle had minor to serious scoring on the bottoms. At that time plunger bodies were in short supply. I think Terrell makes them now for about $25 each. The LaSalle rebuild was about 6 years ago and has gone about 10K with no problems or noise. Maybe it is time to uncross fingers.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

kkarrer

Harry, Steve, and Bob,
     I ordered a complete set of the lifter tops and a couple of additional lifter bodies to match the ones for '41.  My guess is that the rebuilder knew the 48's would fit and had 2 of the originals that needed to be replaced and just happened to have a couple of the late '48's.  I can usually get parts from Terrill in a day, so I should have this back together by the weekend.  I'm going to wait for help because that intake manifold is a bear to deal with by yourself and I'll need someone to turn the engine by hand...I managed to drop one of those brass fittings for the oil line and I know that it landed on the pan below the counterweights and above the oil pan, but I can't quite see it and can't go fishing for it since it's not magnetic.  Let me know if you have suggestions for that.  Also, if someone needs these two late 1948 lifters (complete).  I'll send them out.  They appear to be in good shape and I've run them through my ultrasonic cleaner.
Thanks,
Ken Karrer 1941 6227 D coupe

harry s

Ken,  I don't know what to tell you about an easy way to fish out the brass fitting. It is almost certainly on the splash pan. Maybe if all the lifters are removed you will be able to spot it. That ultra sonic parts washer sounds like a really neat piece of equipment and a real time saver. What size do you have and how do you like it?    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

kkarrer

Harry,
      I'm going to get a buddy to turn the engine by hand while I get in there with a flash light and try to spot it.  Dumb stunt on my part.  As to the ultra sonic.  It's about 6x6x6 and has a heating element as well.  Like a bead blaster, they're never big enough, but I've done carb bodies and parts in it and stuff like these lifter parts.  To do the lifter block you have to put in one end and then the other, but it seemed to do the trick.  I think you can get something similar at Harbor Freight and I know they can be had on-line.  In this case I used some parts cleaner from an auto parts house, but I've used brake cleaner that comes in a plastic jug and some of that orange and some of the purple degreasers.  It all works pretty well.  Hey let me know if you ever come up with a back up light for my 41...the cyclops type.
Thanks,

38FLATTIE

FYI, there are 3 different lifter styles for the '37-'48 Cadillac/ Lasalle

1937-41, 42-early 48, with the difference being the valve body length, and the late '48's.
BUDDY WALKER
38 LASALLE COUPE
THE FLATCAD

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Buddy,
Per the 1942 MPB you are incorrect. The first series of lifters start at 1936 to 1940, then the second series 1941 to early 1948.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

harry s

The ultra sonic cleaner sounds a real time saver and more pleasureable way to clean parts. A lot better than the stiff bristle brush with solvent. Those original '41 backup lights are really getting hard to find. I need one also for my '41 67 series.
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

kkarrer

Harry,
    Do you or anyone else reading this have some really good close ups of the carb. linkage?  Something's off with mine now and it could be that when I pulled the trans. and ran a strap under the pan that the strap sagged too much and let the linkage get jammed up top against the firewall.  I need to see both sides...the linkage on the driver's side where the throttle is and the linkage on the passenger side where it pivots near the distributor.  Mine's bumping on the distributor oiler for some reason and just has some torque on it that shouldn't be there.
Thanks,

Paul Phillips

Ken
I have a lot of pictures of the linkage on my car before I took it apart and will be glad to send to you. I can't remember if I have your direct email - please pm me with that and I wil try to help.

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

kkarrer

Thanks Paul...it's   
kkarrer@austin.rr.com

38FLATTIE

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on August 19, 2012, 12:09:50 PM
Buddy,
Per the 1942 MPB you are incorrect. The first series of lifters start at 1936 to 1940, then the second series 1941 to early 1948.
HTH, Bob

Bob, you are correct. I was going with my somewhat suspect memory, pointing out that there are 3 different lifters. Thank you for correcting me-I always thought the break was in 1942.
BUDDY WALKER
38 LASALLE COUPE
THE FLATCAD

Paul Phillips

Ken
Did you get what you need on the linkage from the emailed photos?  I may be separating the engine & tranny next week, so want to take any extra shots you need before then.

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)

kkarrer

Yes Paul.  Thanks very much.  The linkage was hung up because I hadn't straightened out the motor as the tranny was still out.  I'm trying out some GM gasket maker sealant between the flywheel and the crank on this hydramatic as soon as the new torus gasket comes in.  Is your car an automatic?
Thanks again,
Ken Karrer 1941 6227 D coupe

Paul Phillips

Ken
Yes, my 41 started life as an automatic car, but now has a 47 engine with a 49 hydramatic.  Not much good from a numbers matching view, but a definite improvement over the original bits.

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)