News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

gat tank removal

Started by David Platt, September 22, 2012, 02:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Platt

I need to remove my tank on a '38 Sixty Special. Can it be snaked out or must I cut the filler pipe?
Thank you

Don Boshara #594

If it's like the '40 60S the filler pipe is in two sections and the top section has to be unscrewed (which won't be be easy if it's never been done before) then the tank can be dropped after disconnecting the fuel line and the wire from the sender on top of the tank.
1940 Sixty Special
1966 Mustang Cpe

Classic

On my 37-75, the filler neck has to snaked into place by angling the tank.  It is a 1-piece filler neck rigidly attached to the tank.  During the removal process you also have to stop and disconnect the fuel sender wire.  Most tanks are cumbersome to handle and it often helps to have an assistant.  Of course the tank should be drained first.  You will also need a lot of clearance under the car to angle the tank downward and therefore it is easiest to do if the car is on a lift.
Gene Menne
CLC #474

cadillac60

I removed my gas tank on my 38 60S the filler pipe is one piece & does have to be snaked out. As one other mentioned have the car either on a lift or high on jack stands.  After draining the tank , I removed the tail pipe & muffler that runs accross the back of the gas tank just to give you as much room as possible.

Bruce Watson
Bruce Watson

1937 LaSalle coupe

Just removed the tank on my '37 LaSalle coupe. Also look for a clamp on the filler pipe under the fender.  Good luck ... John Lehman... CLC #26365...