News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1950 Hydra-matic Flywheel / crank gasket

Started by MDHusker01, September 25, 2012, 05:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDHusker01

I've read the few topics I could find about this, but did not read anything conclusive. I have a 1950 Series 62 with the 331 and a Hydra-Matic. I had the engine rebuilt. When I dropped it off, the Flywheel was attached, when I got it back, it was not installed. The 1950 Shop manual talks about replacing the flywheel to crank gasket. I do not have this gasket. some of the forum discussions here talked about a steel gasket, using or not using paper gaskets, and using gasket compounds (with and without success).

Is this gasket available anywhere? I read of somebody suggesting to have a new steel gasket laser cut. Does anybody have a spec on the steel gasket, thickness etc...? What is the best way to deal with this?

The shop manual says to "Dip the six flywheel mounting screws in sealer and install, tightening to 65-70 ft lbs". Does anybody have any advice on what sealer to use on the flywheel bolts?

J Roth

Caddy Wizard

Steel gasket comes in a gasket set.  So if the engine was rebuilt, the set should still have it in the box.  Don't try it without the gasket.  Permatex thread sealant (with teflon) should work to seal the bolt holes.  Comes in a white plastic tube and is safe with fuels and oils.  I forget the Permatex part number, but I think I mentioned it in this forum in some other thread some months ago.  Without the thread sealant, you could have a small, but annoying, leak.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

MDHusker01

The gasket set came from NAPA. It was probably a series of gasket kits rather than one complete rebuild kit. We originally planned on just rebuilding the heads until we found other problems (broken and cracked pistons) and decided to do the complete rebuild. In any case, I don't have the gasket, and can't seem to find one. I looked on the net and called usapartssupply.com. They couldn't find anything on the gasket. 

Does anyone know where I can find one? If anyone has an old one, can you tell me the thickness? Maybe I can have one made.

J Roth

MDHusker01

I'm told fatsco has the gasket that is for 49-53. However it is a paper gasket. is there any knowledge about paper vs steel?

J Roth

Doug Houston

It appears that the gasket sets are coming with metal crankshaft gaskets now. I'm having trouble understanding why, as I'd expect a poorer seal from smooth to smooth surfaces.

The original ones were treated paper, and sealed perfectly. It would be easy to make a new paper gasket from treated paper stock. Of course, I can be in error here, but I'd use the paper one.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

MDHusker01

Thanks all! I found somebody locally that has the gasket set including the torus cover gasket and the crank gasket. I'm picking it up today. It is a paper gasket.

J Roth