News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1937 LaSalle Pinion Seal

Started by John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased., September 12, 2008, 08:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeRoy DeVol

I own a 1947 Cadillac and had the same problem. After removing the drive shaft flange, i drove the seal forward out of the cone toward the pinion bearing, then i took a small bearing puller and reversed the puller arms so they were to the outside. i inserted the puller to the inside of the cone And was able to pull it out with no problem. I purchased a seal (3/8" thick) & installed it in the cone. Everybody is talking about installing 2 seals to replace the original seal, but i used only 1 and that was 6 years ago & 25,000 miles with no leaks. The only problem i had was the puller i used was a little to big and i had to grind down the ends to be able to pull the cone. I believe the 2 seal idea was also good as they are very cheap. The main reason for installing 2 seals is that there may be excessive wear on the drive shaft flange & with 2 seals they will seat at different locations which will seal better.

Lee DeVol

1937 LaSalle coupe

Hello Scott. Is that a " National " part # ? John Lehman CLC # 26365...

Mike Simmons 938

John- That is the Victor number for 38 and 39; the 1937 number is 49233.
mike Simmons

dirkdaddy

Quote from: Mike Simmons 938 on October 15, 2012, 08:25:05 PM
John- That is the Victor number for 38 and 39; the 1937 number is 49233.
mike Simmons

What I got from a supplier is:

DICHTOMATIK
TCM
OIL SEAL
PART NO 152537TA-BX

Others probably work too, but that is what the guy sold me and it working so far. Only I can't drive the car more as its overheating and now I have the heads off cleaning out the cooling passages and waiting on my headgasket.
Scott Philbrook
Houston tx