News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

39 Headlight Reflector Removal

Started by lou-q, November 03, 2012, 06:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lou-q

I want to have my headlights re silvered and I can't figure out how to take them apart.
My shop manual doesn't tell you how, just how to clean and change bulbs.
We are going back to Florida tomorrow and I wanted to send these out so I can replace them in the Spring.
I left these for last because we use the car all the time.
Can someone help me on the removal. I don't want to break anything.
Thank you,
Lou Quirch
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
67 DeVille convertible Venetian Blue
67 DeVille convertible Doeskin SOLD
67 Corvette Marina Blue Roadster
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary Black Convert
2020 Shelby GT500 Magnetic Metallic
67 DeVille convertible Donor car for parts
3 F250 Ford P/Us

Tom Beaver

Lou,  There is a very extensive article on how to disassemble and restore these type headlights in the July/August issue of The Torque Tube, the club magazine of the 1937 and 1938 Buicks club.  "http://www.1937and1938buicks.com".  Just click on "the torque tube" in the left hand column.  This takes you to a listing of all the magazine issues.  Go down to Volume XVI, Issue 5 which you can download and read.  Its a .pdf file.

One problem with re-silvering headlight reflectors is that the silver tarnishes over time and can lose 50% of its reflectivity in the first year, depending on the pollutants in the air.  If you haven't already, you can check with UVIRA, INC. in Merlin, OR 541-474-5050.  They vacuum deposit aluminum directly onto the reflector and then seal it with a micro thin coating of pure silica glass.  The glass seals the reflector to prevent tarnishing.  It certainly works for me.

Tom Beaver

lou-q

Thanks Tom,
I spoke with Bill at UVIRA and he explained the process. He said that the car companies have been using this in their lights since the 90's.
He said I would have to  have them polished and a flash coat of nickel applied because he needs a tarnish free finish to apply his coating.
He doesn't do any polishing; and if I did it, by the time he received them thy would be tarnished.
I found a chroming shop in Miami that would do them ($30.00ea). I dropped them off yesterday afternoon and he said for me to pick them up on Monday.
Bill at UVIRA charges $75 a pair and if you include the check, he will include the shipping.
He told me that when he first did it to his 37 La Salle his friends said that they did not want him in behind them because the lights were to bright.
They also all wanted theirs done and so the UVIRA co. started.
I'm sold on it.
Thanks again,
Lou Quirch
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
67 DeVille convertible Venetian Blue
67 DeVille convertible Doeskin SOLD
67 Corvette Marina Blue Roadster
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary Black Convert
2020 Shelby GT500 Magnetic Metallic
67 DeVille convertible Donor car for parts
3 F250 Ford P/Us