News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1937 fire wall relay

Started by 37 lasalle, November 20, 2012, 12:02:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

37 lasalle

I have 1937 LaSalle that I am trying to get back on the road . There is a relay on the right side of the fire wall that is not properly connected. The wires come out of the center of the fire wall at the main loom.  The two wires that are connected are hot all the time. There are three lugs H B S .The relay is 2''x 1''. The heater motor runs but the radio does not work. Any ideas ? The radio and heater appear to be added on later.

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Yikes,

Would really like to offer help, but like to address someone by name!

That said couple of guesses. Did someone replace the relay on the horns? It should be on the rack that holds the horns on the air cleaner.

Or perhaps someone has added a relay for the lights, especially if they have been coverted to sealed beams.

jw
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

M,

Was not paying attention I apoligize red wine may be involved.

If I can help let me know.

John Washburn
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille

37 lasalle

I am sorry about leaving my name off the post, I hit the post button and then noticed I left off my name, Mike Robinson. There are seal beam lights. The horns are missing but I found a new set. There are also two long wires , one on each side of the engine, cut off and laying on the frame. they come out of the head light loom.I have a wiring diagram but I can not see the relay or these wires.

Mike,

That relay is not supposed to be there it is an add on. Not sure what It is for.

I can send a picture of the horn bracket with the relay, perhaps that is what the rely is added for.

John W
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille

37 lasalle

John The idea that it is an add on horn relay made me think to push the horn button. It clicked ! The replacement air cleaner/horn setup has its own relay. Now I know that those four wires [3 plus ground ] go to the horn relay on the air cleaner. Now what do those two wires, one on each side of the engine do? They come out of the head light loom and are two feet long. they come out of the loom just before the head light junction block at the front of the car. Mike Robinson CLC#27588   

Something to do with the head lights. Are the headlights original, not sealed beams?

Can you determine the color of the wire? Then can look it up. Also might just be a ground wire that goes to the junction block screw to ground.

jw
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille