News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 Biarritz exhaust pipe shroud

Started by Paul Tesone, September 25, 2013, 07:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Tesone

About three years ago , I bought a set of ribbed stainless exhaust pipe shrouds from Mike Rizzuto of Mastermind , in CA . If any of you have dealt with him , you will probably agree that he is a very knowledgeable guy who produces great products and takes pride in his accurate reproductions . Today I opened his package , the contents of which I haven't looked at since the package was delivered three years ago . I was surprised to see that there were FOUR pieces of shroud - two pieces for each exhaust . I say I was surpised because the authenticity manual states that only the passenger side exhaust pipes should be covered with the shroud ( two pieces ). Th driver's side , according to the manual , should have an asbestos wrap . I called mike and he told me that although he has seen cars with one side shroud, the other asbestos , his research has led him to believe that MOST cars came from the factory with shrouds on both sides . He admits that there may have been a transition period where there could have been metal shrouds and asbestos wraps coming fom the factory , but he leans toward both sides having shrouds as "more" correct . Given his history for accurate research , I must question the authenticity manual . Any thoughts ??? Thanks , Paul Tesone CLC # 6876

Quentin Hall

G'day Paul. I have encountered quite a few anomalies in the authenticity manuals over time. But this time it appears to be correct. 
       Once again all my 57s have had replacement exhausts and the first casualty seems to have been the shrouds and the associated harware. That said I just checked my Master parts book and it clearly shows that the RH passenger pipe is ribbed SS sheathed  from the flange to the muffler.
The LH drivers side drop from the heat riser to the first bend is wrapped with the asbestos wrap (I'm guessing 8 to 10 inches long) with the two straps. Then there is a bend. The ribbed SS then starts at the elbow connection and continues to the muffler .
    57 thru 59 were essentially the same up to the mufflers. Grant Owen repros the exhaust brackets. Once again "Where are you Grant?"
    Last note is that the old asbestos is a health hazzard , same as the new asbestos. Q 

53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Walter Youshock

A LOT of new info has come to light since the manual was first published.  A revised edition is on my list of Winter projects.

As for the exhaust shroud:  when these cars were manufactured and the exhaust was assembled on the frame, there was no body to contend with.  The passenger pipe was ONE PIECE with the shroud over it.  Replacement pipes were TWO PIECES as there is no way to install a one-piece pipe unless the body comes off.  I believe that is mentioned in the Shop Manual.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Quentin Hall

This is from the Master Parts List.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Paul Tesone

Thanks Quentin - Why wasn't I smart enough to look for that picture in my Master Parts List book ? That's why I need people like you . Thanks for taking the time to photograph the book  and post the picture . I know it can be time consuming to transfer photos to the Forum . Paul Tesone CLC #6876

Quentin Hall

No problem Paul. Guess  what , I went out to the shed and reexamined my Biarritz .....And sure enough it is original. Aside from the asbestos being missing it is as in the MPL. So if you need a pic I can help.Q
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Paul Tesone

Thanks for the offer Quentin , but I think the diagrams in the Master Parts book tell it all . Paul Tesone CLC #6876

Grant Owen

Paul , the product that Mcveys sells is the one I mentioned I remembered the name it is E.H.P wet blanket it is more commonly used to cover turbo chargers when dry it is very brittle. Goggle it as the company also sells the Braided covering for choke tubes etc they also have it wide enough to cover exhaust pipes might be an alternative.

Paul Tesone

Thanks Grant - will look into it . ...Paul Tesone CLC #6876