News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

78 Cadillac, metal tabs on trunk edge.

Started by R Schroeder, December 29, 2012, 03:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R Schroeder

For the life of me , I don't know why these are here. Anyone know ?
Two metal pieces on each side of the trunk.
Car does have the power pull down, but I cant see it being related.
Roy

936CD69

Roy, the parts book calls them "support, bumper compartment lid at gutter side" They are listed for Cadillac only. Group 12.212, PN 20437865. The rubber bumper is 1717924, usage 77-81 C and D cars. I have a later model Fisher Body manual which does not mention them. IIRC, they insure the lock is aligned side to side with the striker when closing the lid, w/ or w/o pulldown. HTH

Craig
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

R Schroeder

Thanks Craig.
I sort of see it now ,where it bumps up on the lid. I'll have to venture down back someday and check it out closer.
It was a mystery until now.
Roy

P.S. Send me a picture of your Caddy. I noticed you put some up of the engine compartment for someone. It looks like a real nice car. I know it isnt BLACK. See if my buddy reads this.....ha
My email is at left in my profile.
Roy

Walter Youshock

I think the purpose is to keep the trunk lid in proper alignment.  Every Cadillac I've had since my '77 has had them.  They seem to bump up against the inner trunk bracing.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

R Schroeder

I have had the car 3 years now, and it just started bugging me as to what they were.
Roy