News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

47 Cad Steering Wheel Questions

Started by sfox77, January 21, 2013, 11:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfox77

First Question: Will a 49 horn cap fit my 47 wheel?

Second question: I need to restore my whole steering wheel. Who does quality work like this? I need to recast the whole wheel.

Thanks,

S. Fox

Bill Ingler #7799

Try JB Donalson here in Phoenix. I have used them for 2 wheels, both were excellent. My advise to you would be talk with them about getting the color of the new wheel to match the present color of the turn signal and shifting plastic on the car. Is the old wheel a good match for color against the turn, shift or parking brake plastic on your car?  Nothing says mistake on a car more than the wheel with a different color than your other plastic items.     Bill

http://americanfiberglassinc.com/steeringwheels/

sfox77

Thanks Bill. I'm really starting from scratch here.  I need to replace the shift knob and turn signal arm. I do have a really nice set of spotlights with cream colored Bakelite handles. I want every to match those. Can that be done?

Thanks,

Steve

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Steve: I think you would need to talk to Donalson to see if he does other than wheels. I can`t remember for sure but either All Cads or McVEY sells new turn and shiter matching sets. As far as your spot light handles, not sure if anyone is recasting those. How far off in color are the handles from your wheel? I  don`t think I would get to upset if I could not match my spot handles exactly to the other plastic. I would be more concerned to get close colors on the wheel, turn, shift and brake handle.  Since the spot handles darken with age then those might be a problem trying to match. I have 2 spots on my 47 but I was lucky on color as one was a take off years ago from a wrecked car, put in a box and the other was a NOS I found at Hershey. They both are off slightly in color.    Bill

sfox77

Hey Bill, how much should a good set of matching spotlights cost?

Thanks,

Steve

Jay Friedman

If by horn "cap" you mean what Cadillac calls the horn, yes, '47 and '49 are the same.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

sfox77

Thanks. I mean the Acrylic Cap with the Cadillac Logo inside. Are thy interchangeable?

Steve

R Sotardi #11719

Bill and Jay are spot on. JB Donaldson did my 50 about 10 years ago ... Flawless! And liftime warranty. I presume the wheel is Ivory? The 50 however is a lighter tone "Ivory" then the  46-48. JBD new that as I walked in the door.  Big bucks , however. Brown horn(button) are same part from 42-50. Ron

sfox77

Bill Ingler #7799

Steve: The horn button for the 47-6267 convert is different than the 47-62 coupe or sedan. Now the 49 might fit dimension wise but not color wise.The color on the 49 is different The same 42-47 horn button was used on all 42,46 and 47 models with exception of the 47-6267 convert The outer part of the 47 convert horn button is a dark brown, then working inward( separating this outer brown from a very light tan center) is a small width gold ring and then inward from that is this very light tan with the Cadillac crest in gold sitting in the middle of the cap. The standard 42, 46 and 47 button had a brown outer area and a darker brown inner with the Cadillac crest sitting on this darker center. I have looked for years for the correct 47 convert button and until I find one, I am using a 42-47 standard button.

Steve since you are doing a complete restoration I would recommend you buy a Authenticity Manual for your car from the Cadillac/LaSalle Club. Restorations are expensive, even if you do most yourself so try to do it right by the book and protect your investment. This manual will show you a picture of the correct horn button.

What is a pair of spotlights worth? The asking price is all over the place as you will find on ebay. The correct spot was made by Glide and had the name Cadillac on the chrome shield which attached over the top of the bulb. You will find some shields with just GM. These were generic spots made by Glide for other GM of that era. Be careful when buying a right side spot light as the mounting bracket is different as well as the spotlight itself. When looking at the spots from the inside of the car, both plastic light handles need to be facing outwards towards the vent windows. I have seen right spots offered with the correct pillar post mounting brackets only to find when installed on the car the right spot handle was facing inward. Now for what I consider the key to success or failure in installing the spot light- make sure you have the correct template to put on that pillar post before you drill that big hole. It has to be correct or it won`t come through the inner chrome garnish moldings at the right place and at the right angle.    Bill

Jay Friedman

I left out the word "button" after the 2nd word "horn" in my previous posting.  (Getting old!) 

I stand corrected; Bill is right in saying that while the standard '49 horn button will fit a '47 steering wheel as it is physically the same, it's color is different.  The '49 standard horn button (dark brown) and the '49 convertible button (very dark brown, almost black) both have a single color and do not have 2 different colors in an inner and outer ring like the '47 buttons. 

My lame excuse is that I like the look of the 2-color brown/tan '47 button so installed one on my '49. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

sfox77

Thanks. My spotlights are Casco Perfections. I just pray they will fit. Any idea?

I do have an Authenticity Manual. Maybe I should open it up. I guess I will need to use my dark brown one. It sound like the right one will be hard to find.

You guys are great.

Steve

sfox77

There it is, as clear as it can be on page V-3.

Steve

Bill Ingler #7799

Steve: Regardless of who made your spots, let me say again, do not attempt to install those spots unless you have the correct template for that make light and that make car.Even with the correct template you still need to closely follow the measurements in placing that template on the windshield post. That will allow you to drill the two smaller holes that hold the attaching bracket to the windshield post. Then you need to find a drill bit that just fits inside the large shaft hole on that attaching bracket. That drill bit should fit snug as that shaft hole will guide your drill bit with the correct angle so that the drill bit will come through the inside chrome windshield molding at the middle of the molding. Have fun and as you are drilling that first big hole through that windshield post of your beautiful newly finished 47 Cadillac convert- remember to keep saying to yourself- yes I am having fun.     Bill

sfox77

Thanks Bill. You are a hoot. This is a long term project for me, so I hope you keep answering my posts.

Yes, I am having fun....Yes I am having fun....

Steve