News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1947 Radio Noise Suppressor Capacitor or ?

Started by A. Amman #15293, February 08, 2013, 05:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A. Amman #15293

I'm trying to locate a new version of this part which is connected to the double side of the ignition switch on my '47.  I assume it is there to filter out noise and improve the radio's sound.  Anyone know where to buy a new one?  I was just at the oldest parts house in town here and they had no idea.  I have not been to NAPA yet but their website holds little promise either.  Likewise I've Googled for info. and am coming up short.

Thanks,

Anthony #15293

bcroe

Those are not hard to test; are you sure its bad?  Radio suppression caps
aren't very critical.  You could replace it by splicing that proper length wire
& lug onto a more modern part.  Bruce Roe

A. Amman #15293

Bruce,
I had our local automotive electrical shop look at it and it tests differently value wise to a modern 12 volt part according to the Tech that looked at it.  This one may well be good but I'm primarily wanting a new one because the aesthetics of the old one are not up to par. 
Does voltage come into play with a part like this? 
If you know of a source for something similar, I could splice a longer lead onto it in order to reattach it.
The closest part I found that looks like this one was on ebay and fits a mid-fifties Corvette.  It was used and looked as bad as the one I already have.  I followed up looking at Corvette parts sites but could not find one listed.

Anthony #15293

Dave Shepherd

I got a 6 volt radio noise suppresor from Carquest 2 years ago.  Sorry no PN.

bcroe

Quote from: A. Amman #15293 on February 09, 2013, 12:04:54 AM
Bruce,
I had our local automotive electrical shop look at it and it tests differently value wise to a modern 12 volt part according to the Tech that looked at it.  This one may well be good but I'm primarily wanting a new one because the aesthetics of the old one are not up to par. 
Does voltage come into play with a part like this? 
If you know of a source for something similar, I could splice a longer lead onto it in order to reattach it.
The closest part I found that looks like this one was on ebay and fits a mid-fifties Corvette.  It was used and looked as bad as the one I already have.  I followed up looking at Corvette parts sites but could not find one listed.  Anthony #15293   
Still assuming it's a radio suppression cap, they all get connected across the battery.  They must withstand
the worst transients on the system.  That is likely cranking the starter, I have seen some very short 300V
spikes.  A lot like the one across the points.  My opinion 6V vs 12V won't make much difference.  You didn't
list ufd values, but for this function a variation of 10:1 will hardly make an observable difference.  Your old
cap was good? Too bad you can't use it.  Bruce Roe

J. Gomez

Anthony,

If that is connected to the ignition coil wire and the chassis at the ignition switch it will be the ignition coil condenser. You may not find the exact replica with modern one, if you are looking for functionality any 6V condenser/capacitor would so it. Have you try a Chevy place i.e. https://www.fillingstation.com/ or any other GM place?

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Doug Houston

What puzzles me is the "aesthetics" of the original capacitor.  I'm wondering just what judge in a car meet is in a position to even say that this suppression capacitor is original, correct, proper, or what??

If you can find a metal cased capacitor that resembles whatever has been in your car, buy it, and use it. The only voltage issue in that place is a possible voltage spike from such as the starter solenoid, as somebody has already mentioned.  Voltage rating on the cap that you use should be around 400 volts (if it's given on the specs for new ones). 

If the truth be known, the original one is probably still good.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

A. Amman #15293

Thanks everyone for your input.  I know what the part actually is (coil condensor) and will continue searching to find one. 
Doug, it's just my ocd that won't let me keep a grungy part like this on the vehicle when nothing else has been left unattended during the restoration process.  I agree that most people are unlikely to spend much time looking under the dash but I would know it was there and it would continue to bug me as something unfinished.

Anthony #15293

A. Amman #15293

The parts men at NAPA got me what I needed; I'm very pleased!

Anthony #15293