News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac (6267) Thermostat Housing Leak

Started by Coupe Deville, November 17, 2013, 10:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupe Deville

Hello everyone. I atempted to flush my radiator and replace upper and lower hoses and the thermostat today. Had a little issue with the lower hose fit but got it sorted. My problem is with the thermostat/water outlet housing. When i removed the housing there was almost nothing left off a gasket. So i scraped the surface flat, put in the new thermostat and a new gasket. Water poured out of there when filled. I have been told that if you put the mating surface of the housing on a grinder and make it perfectly smooth it should fix the leak. Does this sound like a good idea? Should i apply and silicone/sealnt on the gasket? Also how tight should the 4 bolts be? And one more question. how many pounds should the radiator cap be. the one that came off the car was 7 and the new is 13. sorry for asking so many questions. the fourm is great.Any help is appricated.

Thanks

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

76eldo

The mating surfaces have to be pretty flat.  If you cannot locate another thermostat housing I would take it apart, let it dry out and reinstall using some Permatex form-a gasket on the surfaces.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Ken Perry

It needs to be flat,you can use a file or try a flat piece of cement ,like a walk way. After it is flat with no pits take a new piece of 100 grit sand paper and lay that on a flat surface and make it purfect! Don't laugh till you try it!!! Ken Perry
Cadillac Ken

Dan LeBlanc

Silicone has always worked well for me.  Put on your bead, go around the bolt holes, and attach finger tight.  Allow to cure for 24 hours, tighten to final torque spec.  If you tighten while the silicone is still wet, it just oozes out and defeats the purpose.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Coupe Deville

Should I include the gasket with the silicone?
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Dan LeBlanc

Silicone will become your gasket.  I prefer the black RTV stuff.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Coupe Deville

Thanks for the advice everyone. I went to the auto parts store and bought some silicone gasket maker. Would it hurt to include the original gasket and then just run a bead of silicone on ethier side of it?

Thanks

-Gavin

n2caddies

Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

MY 59

everyone is correct in saying both surfaces need to be flat.
I used a small 100mm x 100mm piece of glass, wrapped it with wet and dry sandpaper and both surfaces came up perfect.
used a new gasket with a tiny smear of sealant, tightened it down to about 15 - 20 Ft Pds (I think) and it is sweet! :)
David Bone :)

1959 Cadillac Sedan Deville
1967 (aussie) ZA ford Fairlane

Coupe Deville

Hello everyone. Thanks for all of the ideas and help. I did make the surfaces flat and used some sealant and tighten the nuts down just over hand tight. Yesterday the gasket front side was just a little damp in one spot and there was two little weeps of coolant. I tighten the bolts down a little bit more and have not had problems yet. So it may just be i dint tighten them down enough. Its kinda strange because before i changed the thermostat the original gasket was in there for 10 years+ and there was not much left of it and the bolts were practicly hand tight when i removed them.

I have a two more questions about the cooling system and thought i will just ask them here then putting a new topic. When we go on drives with the new coolant/thermostat/and hoses the radiator seems to be hotter to the touch then before. Also when the water comes out of the bottom of the radiator hose it is cold, but when it goes into the water pump again the hose feels hot. Is this normal? Or am i just paranoid now.

Sorry for all of the questions. Thanks

-Gavin

35-709

To my mind these are invaluable source of information, especially when doing something you have not done very often, or at all before, including torque values.  Cheap at thrice the price.  I find the book form most useful and convenient but some like the CD.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/6000/i.html?_nkw=1959+Cadillac+shop+manual&_rdc=2
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Jeff Wilk

With a well functioning thermo and radiator what you describe is correct. Hot water from engine flows out of thermo gooseneck into top hose and then into radiator where it is cooled. It then flows out the bottom hose into waterpump then back into engine.  Thus the lower hose is cooler than the upper hose.   Get the shop manual asap.  It is THE MOST important part for any restoration or basic repair.
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

cwcinps

I would note what Jeff said, lower is Warmer - you mention Cold.  It is possible to have air trapped and have a vapor lock going on.  It should result in the car eventually overheating.  You may want to check the radiator that water freely flows thru it as well, taking hoses off and pouring water thru it and make sure it flows free.  Then drain and refill making sure it takes near capacity as listed is in the shop manual.
If it was just a choice of word, cold vs cooler then just check levels and make sure it is not overheating and ENJOY

Chris

1957 Coupe deVille
1976 Convertible Eldorado