News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Dont ignore your tires!

Started by TJ Hopland, September 30, 2012, 04:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcroe

I have had plenty of trouble with tires, my rule is change at 6 years.  However my
highest mileage car goes through them faster.  So I take those tires & rims off before
completely worn out, put them on the less used car, take THOSE wheels in to get
new tires.  This keeps fairly new tires on the other car, without buying new and
then throwing away with few miles. 

I learned long ago, never to let a tire shop mess with my car; they just see the
wheels I bring them.  Bruce Roe

Glen

After the local tire shop dented the fender on my 68 ELDO they do not see it any more, just the wheels. 

They used to be very good and only did tires, now they do everything and a trip to the tire shop can get you a list of things “wrong” with your car.  This is especially true if you are a woman.  The wife returned from the shop with a note the CV joint boots are torn and need to be replaced.  My inspection found no tears in the boots. 

<rant mode off>     
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

TJ Hopland

Ya I know what you guys are saying.   I never go to chain stores if I can help it.   I did have a local shop that I was starting to trust but last time I brought them something they did not impress me.    If I could find a shop I liked they would likely end up with a lot of my money because I jut dont have time to deal with a lot of this stuff anymore.  I think I would be a good customer since I have several cars that are all older and I generally just do what ever needs to be done.  Since I cant find anyone I just end up doing it myself.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

bcroe

I learned to fix my cars by repairing the "repairs" the shops did.  Eventually
I just learned to do it all in pure self defense.  Joan noticed a brake problem
on her Honda, and the dealer came up with a $1500 estimate before I heard
about it.  I got it on the lift, the front calipers were jammed instead of floating. 
I freed them up, eventually replaced the pads, end of problem other than a
couple very upset people here.  Bruce

Bill Podany #19567

I own a 41 Cadillac 60 Special; it has 11,000 miles on a set of bias tires from Corker Tire back in 1997.  It is a 100 point award winning car from the AACA, CLC, and CCA.  I have the car examined and maintained/serviced every year; the car is kept in a climate controlled environment and driven infrequently (about 300 miles a year only in town).  My question is this: my mechanics tell me the tires remain in excellent condition; I have them aligned yearly.  The tires have no visable wear.  I am told by friends in the collective hobby that any tire over ten years should be replaced.  Is this true, and what is the advice from our members.  Basically, this has been a show car and judging car for most of its life after restoration.

Sincerely,

Bill Podany
Knoxville, TN 
1941 60 Special Fleetwood
1955 Eldorado

wrench

" I am told by friends in the collective hobby that any tire over ten years should be replaced.  Is this true, and what is the advice from our members.  Basically, this has been a show car and judging car for most of its life after restoration."

It all depends on your Risk Tolerance and Budget. A 10 year life limit is sound advise from a safety standpoint. The compound in your tires change as a function of time, use and storage conditions may mitigate this somewhat, but since ALL conditions (such as compound, manufacturing process etc. etc.) can never be 'known', a life limit can be used to mitigate the uncertainty.

1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Whit Otis, 1188

Sheesh!  Thank you US government idiots..... and I'm sure the tire companies love the fact that tires only last 8 years..... when I was a kid, I bought a 1927 Model T Ford and all the tires were thread bare and I drove it home..... I can't believe we as free citizens are willing to put up with this nonsense.

Whit

PS  Thanks for saving me the from climate change (formerly knows as global warming, but since they cheated on the numbers we changed the name to "climate change)."
Whit Otis -
1941 6219D Custom
1941 6219D
1940 7533F
1986 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL
1999 Bentley Arnage
2019 XT5
Drawing of AP Sloan Custom by Terry Wenger