News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

signal light problem

Started by STEVE CLC #16187, March 27, 2013, 10:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STEVE CLC #16187

On my 1949 Cadillac 62 series I  re wired the front headlights, signal lights and park lights. everything works great except the indicator arrows on the dash. They both flash when every either the left or right signal light is on. I converted to 12 volt and have changed all the bulbs. It acts like a poor ground . I never wired anything under the dash just changed bulbs. I did install LED bulbs in the tail,stop and signal lights,  in the rear only.

steven hales
steve hales
clc # 16187

Doug Houston

Was there a reason you needed to change the electrical system??  It'd better be a good one!!!
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Doug Houston on March 27, 2013, 11:33:48 PM
Was there a reason you needed to change the electrical system??  It'd better be a good one!!!

He wanted to and it's his car. That's reason enough.

Wish I could help with the wiring, Steve, but 40s are not my specialty.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Roger Zimmermann

Maybe this comes from the flasher (sorry, I don't remember the correct name, I'm not at home); the current may not be in the correct range for it.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

J. Gomez

Steve,

Since you have changed the front, pilot and rear bulbs to LED type, the setup is skewed.

The way Cadillac made the turn signal setup for the dash board pilot lights with the three prong flasher is;

When the turn signal switch is on the RH side position the RH side pilot light will pick up the ground from the LH front signal light filament to chassis ground.  The reversed occurs when the turn signal switch is turned to the LH side. Both pilot lights are tied together at the "P" terminal of the flasher.

Since the LEDs do not have a simple resistance as filaments bulbs do, the dash pilot lights are tied together at the flasher both will blink. The same condition will occur if the bulbs either pilot or front ones are changed with different resistance values. This explanation is at a high level.

You could try changing the front bulbs to regular filament type and see if that change; although I would guess it will not. You may need to go with the old filament type for the front and pilot lights.

Hope this helps..!

Good luck
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

gary griffin

Often when you change things you get something different than you expected. One would have to look at all parts of the system to figure out what happened here.

When I started restoring my 1942  6719   I considered changing the electrical system also but opted to restore the old system instead with special attention to the whole grounding system. I figured something would go wrong if I figured I was smarter than the Cadillac engineers were but I also know that many older cars get converted to 12 volt.  I was 22 before I got a 12 volt car.

For my restoration I will buy the best and strongest six volt battery I can find and keep it on a float charger and that should be sufficient. Probably an Optima but I am not sure yet.

Good luck with your system Steve.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

STEVE CLC #16187

Thank you guys for all your input, especially you Mr Gomez, that was a very detailed and technical explanation. I suspected the LED rear lights. I tried them in my 1946 Chevy, another 12 volt system, and the tail lights would come on with the ignition turned on. The reason I changed to 12 volt was I repowered the Cadillac and the new engine was a 12 volt. I have 6 volt cars and don't mind the 6 volt system I get a long fine with it.

steve hales
clc # 16187