News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Why are cars worth as much as they are?

Started by waterzap, April 08, 2013, 02:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillacmike68

Thanks Eric.  Matt said what i said only with about 10x as many words!   ;)

Basically, old muscle cars suck  ;D
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Makandriaco

Quote from: Buster Miller on April 08, 2013, 05:00:14 PM
I guess that makes me a lover since I was born in 1966 and my Cadillac is a 1958!!

Lol, im a 1966 with a 1959
1959 Series 62 4 Window Sedan

Always loved Cadillacs.

Buster Miller

I can think of quite a few cars I have owned which were older than me or very close to the same age the oldest being a 57 Chevy, then a 64 Riviera 64 Ford Galaxie 500, 66 Coupe De Ville 67 OLds 442 Conv 71 Lincoln Continental Mark III So I guess You could say I'm a lover of Muscle and Luxury!! To me there's just no styling like the cars of the 50's and 60's whatever the brand or type!!

soonerinmo

I think the price inversion on muscle cars vs. classic luxury cars may be changing. It seems like muscle cars (and hot rods) were all you used to see at the local car shows here. Lately I've noticed several Cadillacs, Buicks, Olds and Lincolns showing up to these monthly shows. Also, cars from the mid-to-late seventies are becoming more common...and we all know that period was more about luxury cruising than performance. While it's refreshing to see "luxo-barges" coming to the shows more and more, I hope it doesn't drive up prices too much. :)
Brian Combs ><>

'67 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Sold)
'08 DTS

Ken Perry's Photography

Um, for 1970 the 454ci. ls6 had the most factory rated horse power at 450hp which was a low estimate for insurance purposes. 
2 61 CDVs, 63 park avenue, 71 sdv, 77cdv, 78CDV

soonerinmo

I was thinking mid-to-late seventies when emissions controls strangled horsepower and cushy luxury coupes were more common than pure muscle. I've been seeing relatively more of these personal luxury types at local car shows lately.
Brian Combs ><>

'67 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Sold)
'08 DTS

waterzap

Quote from: soonerinmo on April 10, 2013, 09:50:49 PM
I think the price inversion on muscle cars vs. classic luxury cars may be changing. It seems like muscle cars (and hot rods) were all you used to see at the local car shows here. Lately I've noticed several Cadillacs, Buicks, Olds and Lincolns showing up to these monthly shows. Also, cars from the mid-to-late seventies are becoming more common...and we all know that period was more about luxury cruising than performance. While it's refreshing to see "luxo-barges" coming to the shows more and more, I hope it doesn't drive up prices too much. :)

If prices go up, the bad thing is of course that these cars get more expensive. The advanges is that less of them will end up in the junkyard, and rather be rebuilt, or at least kept. Then when more of these are on the roads, more parts will be available.
Leesburg, AL

Coupedeville

To add to this, the thing i just can't understand is the current "apparent" values of 50's pick ups.
Here in the UK they are ridiculously priced, with most advertised far in excess of what i paid for my 57 CDV.

Joe Hunt
Joe Hunt

cadillacmike68

Quote from: 61cadman on April 10, 2013, 11:45:33 PM
Um, for 1970 the 454ci. ls6 had the most factory rated horse power at 450hp which was a low estimate for insurance purposes.

I think the LS6 was a chevelle engine option. My original post was in reference to corvette engine options.

The only corvette engine options I know of are RPO ZQ3  RPO L46     RPO LS5  RPO LT1; with the highest rated HP of 390. LS6 was not a corvette option, and the vaunted LS7 was never delivered on any car in 1970, or any other year.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Louis Smith

Quote from: Coupedeville on April 13, 2013, 06:45:00 AM
To add to this, the thing i just can't understand is the current "apparent" values of 50's pick ups.
Here in the UK they are ridiculously priced, with most advertised far in excess of what i paid for my 57 CDV.

Joe Hunt

Not hard to understand, from a country that drives on the wrong side of the road  :o :o :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D

http://americantruckshop.co.uk/home#!/classic-american-trucks-for-sale

RyanBurman

That was a quite a read back there. The thing I like most about Cadillac and other other luxury makes in general is that they have a steady  value compared to most of the other collector vehicles out there. I see Cadillacs commanding the same prices they have since before and after the 2000s muscle boom. When the market fell out for muscle it really tanked. I myself am wondering about the 50s and 60s pickup market right now. $3000 for a basket case that needs all the metal and guys are actually buying at that price? Ridiculous 

Eldorado Tex

Nostalgia. People grew up with performance cars more so than luxury cars. There are lots of non-car guys just reliving their youth.

Even in the 30s you've got stuff like Cords and Auburns. One thing that speaks well of Cadillac especially is the use of their motors. Cadillac V8s have found their way in V12 Lincolns, hot rods, etc.

Louis Smith

Quote from: StevenTuck on April 16, 2013, 09:15:11 AM
Much of the price of a vehicle has to do with demand. Demand is created through good marketing. Most people are convinced through marketing that they must purchase a vehicle.

Look at the rise in the popularity of the SUV. Do you really think people living in a city need a four wheel drive SUV, maybe someone living in a mountain area. But the talents of those in marketing convince people they wouldn't be anyone unless they owned an SUV...KEEP UP WITH THE JONES SYNDROME. Also people have an innate need to be accepted. Many fall captive to this need and buy something they otherwise would not. If they only bought what they needed, they wouldn't buy what they were convinced to buy to be accepted.

This same marketing ploy has driven the muscle car prices past those of luxury brands. Every car event, auction, TV station and show reinforces this to the consumer. Subliminally, the consumer thinks he must purchase a muscle car in order to be accepted among the guys. This artificial demand inflates the prices of muscle cars.

Don't get me wrong, there are always exceptions. There are those select few who don't need to fit in and will buy what they really want. I have always been one who made decisions without influence of the marketers. I have wanted something different and unique. I never felt I had to buy something to be accepted or fit in with the crowd.

Mr. Tuck, interesting opinion on what motivates people's choices in what they "like" and purchase.  While I see the logic and validity of your post, I don't think I can completely agree with everything you posted, especially concerning SUV's.  I was always a "car" guy, that thought "trucks" including SUV's were for plumbers and farmers.  Over 20+ years ago, when I needed a replacement vehicle for my daily driver, I bought a 2dr, 2wd, Chevy Blazer, mostly because of the price and great deal.  From the moment I sat in the SUV, and drove it off the lot, I was hooked!  While I did give up some of the ride comfort of a car, I just loved the feeling of safety driving it.  I sat higher and had a better view of the road ahead and around me, with the over sized outside rear view mirrors.  I like the ease of getting in and out of the SUV.  I didn't have to plop myself in, as with a car.  Same thing getting out.  I liked the convenience of the rear hatch, when loading and unloading groceries, cargo etc.  There was no need to bend over to pick up cargo.  Everything was level with me.  While it was mainly a base model, it did have comfort options, such as power windows and locks, A/C, tilt wheel.  With the passage of time, I continued to buy SUV's, Vans, and trucks, and loved them all.  As I got newer replacement vehicles, I noticed that the manufacturers were constantly improving the ride.  I had a couple of GMC Jimmys, and they offered 3 types of rides.  You are mostly correct about the uselessness of 4wd.  I had a couple of 4wd vehicles and rarely ever had to use the 4wd.  My last few cars were crossovers, which I think are fantastic.  They give the convenience of a SUV, with the ride of a sedan.  I might add that my current crossover is greatly optioned.  It has rain sensitive windshield wipers!  No its not a Cadillac.  I will admit that when I was younger, like most young people, I wanted to be accepted.  As I got older, it was me that was doing the accepting!

cadillacmike68

Well, as for me, I'll never be Suburban Uhttack Vehicle (or truck) owner. I can't stand getting into and out of the POS gargantuan F150 every day here. It beats walking or the post bus, and it's free to me (thanks to all the taxpayers back home!), but I'll never get one for myself. 
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Louis Smith

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on April 16, 2013, 01:49:16 PM
Well, as for me, I'll never be Suburban Uhttack Vehicle (or truck) owner. I can't stand getting into and out of the POS gargantuan F150 every day here. It beats walking or the post bus, and it's free to me (thanks to all the taxpayers back home!), but I'll never get one for myself.

Not apples with apples.  Since you call it a gargantuan F-150, I infer its a heavy duty 4WD, Ford "work truck".  I this is the case, they do sit higher, and should have a "running board" or nerf bar.  I will even admit that even a basic 2WD truck, could use a running board or nerf bar to get in and out of.  IMHO, small price to pay for the comfort and safety of being in a truck.  Most SUV's and crossovers, really don't require any running boards or nerf bars to easily get in and out of.  In fact I think they are easier, since your really do get in them as opposed of falling into a car.

Blade

Currently I own an '81 Z28 and just got the '59 Cad a couple of months ago. The Camaro is leaving soon because I'll always pick the Caddy over it and just don't need two 'extra' cars around.

Plus I need gas money for the Caddy ...  ;D

Louis Smith

Quote from: Blade on April 16, 2013, 05:57:31 PM
Currently I own an '81 Z28 and just got the '59 Cad a couple of months ago. The Camaro is leaving soon because I'll always pick the Caddy over it and just don't need two 'extra' cars around.

Plus I need gas money for the Caddy ...  ;D

Sort of reminds of, in the past, when Cadillac salesmen, used to say to each other, if the customer has to ask about the gas mileage, they shouldn't be looking at Cadillacs.  Interesting you should bring up "gas money", since currently the price of gas is dropping.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

For certain applications, only full frame RWD based vehicles will suffice- for things like towing and such. Since (for all practical purposes) nobody makes a full-size RWD full-frame car anymore, large trucks & SUVs is the only option left.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

cadillacmike68

Quote from: ericdev CLC#8621 on April 16, 2013, 07:07:59 PM
For certain applications, only full frame RWD based vehicles will suffice- for things like towing and such. Since (for all practical purposes) nobody makes a full-size RWD full-frame car anymore, large trucks & SUVs is the only option left.

For my limited towing requirements I have the Fleetwood, and while they don't make them any more, there are plenty out there in case mine crashed, because that's the only thing that will cause it's demise (other than a fire!)
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike