News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

71-72 Eldorado Convertible's

Started by INTMD8, March 08, 2013, 11:19:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

INTMD8

I've found myself drawn to these cars and was hoping to get some opinions/info on them as I have not driven one.

How is chassis stiffness? I've driven several convertibles where the cowl shake is so bad it would make me not want to own it. Do these suffer the same or do they feel somewhat solid?

Any other driving impressions? I know it's all subjective but some traits are usually universally liked or disliked.

Thanks!

-Jim

Hankk17

I own a 72 and have seen a bunch of eldorados from around this era.  They all tend to rot in the trunk and floors right behind the doorjamb.  best test if you're looking at one is to grab the bumper on either the left or right side and give it a good solid shake.  you'll know pretty quickly if you're dealing with a wiggler or a solid body.

unfortunately I didn't learn this trick until AFTER we got one that has this issue.  the frame is rotten 3/4 of the way through on one side and the body is holding together only by the floors and wheel wells.  I'm still in a serious quandry over what to do.
Wherever you go... There you are

The Tassie Devil(le)

My '72 is rock solid with none of the frame-rust problems.

But, someone in the vehicles' early life had the foresight to have it rustproofed.

I found the car on ebay in 2007, in upstate New York, and even though the upholstery isn't the best, the body is tight and handles very well on tight twisting toads at speed.

My '55 Chevrolet Convertible was a bowl of jelly compared with this Eldo.   Maybe it is the fact that Cadillac installed the Brass tapered wedges at the rear of the doors to stop the gaps closing up on rough roads and squashing the inadvertently placed skin on the door to quarter-panel joint.

BUT, rust is a problem if it is inside the chassis.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Hankk17

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Hank,

Sorry, but not this one.   I had been searching for one for years, and the vehicle had to have the TrackMaster accessory, and I found it on ebay, and luckily, the previous winner knocked it back when he saw it because it was so dirty, grungy, and the back seat flapped in the breeze.   What told me it was TrackMaster from the ebay pictures was the tel-tale vacuum line across the back of the Brake Booster, with a junction to the Booster.

I also purchased a dented '71 Convertible which had been sitting in a barn for 20 years (hit a pole in the Right Front) and this one was totally rusted out.   It looked good n the pictures, but, removing the carpet revealed a Fred Flintstone vehicle with a plate self-tapped to the drivers floor.

BUT, I stripped it out, and now have 3/4 of a convertible for parts.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Hankk17

well foo.  post a picture at least though!   ;D

The Tassie Devil(le)

Some of the '71

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

cadillacmike68

Was Trackmaster introduced in 1970 or 1971?
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Hankk17

Wow Bruce - all those rust spots look amazingly famliar :-D  it's like you stole my '72 and took pictures.

INTMD8

Thanks for the input everyone.

Bruce, wow! That is a bit crusty.  Appreciate the pics, it's nice to know what to look out for.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Then there is rust in these areas.   

This car had been repaired and put back on the road, and it was a totally dangerous action on behalf of he repairer.

Where the Seat Belt attachment, which was the rear seat floor attachment was "repaired", all they did was fill the area with Bog, and sticked Selastic over the area to keep out the water.

Anyone wearing that seat belt would have been seriously injured during the crash that befell the vehicle.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

These pictures are from another '72 I looked at, but decided not to continue with.

The car looked really good from he outside, and the owner told me that it was well-cared car, and the deceased owner had looked after it like it was his baby.

The pictures showed different.  And the seller was sort of happy to receive the pictures from me as she had no idea of the problems.

A fellow CLC Member inspected the car for me, took the pictures.  He to was shocked at the condition.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Rich S

Did you ever receive your photos of the car in your link?

I have a '71 Eldorado Convertible and it drives great! Mine was a one owner 45,000 mile example when I got it and it still required some rust work in the trunk floor/rear wheel well areas. Otherwise, it has been a solid vehicle and the styling is definitely my preference, among the '71 to '76 Eldorado Convertibles. The car has been reliable in nine years of ownership and it always draws admirers wherever it goes! The '71 & '72 models are fine machines!
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe