News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 cadillac transmisson what’s the drain plug behind the oil pan of the tranny

Started by Twan-Sloot, November 13, 2018, 10:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twan-Sloot

Hi guys,

I decided to give my car a full service, first changed the total worn out motor mounts and now I am on to the transmissions fluid change. Engine oil and coolant change to come.

I am chnaging it because I had no clue when it was done for the last time and my pan was leaking so I am tackling those problems as well.

now comes my question, the shop manual describes to drain the pan and the flywheel plug. Doing this I also noticed there is a drain plug behind the transmisson pan. Should I drain that one as well? Or what is that for?

J. Gomez

Quote from: Twan-Sloot on November 13, 2018, 10:00:53 AM
Hi guys,

I decided to give my car a full service, first changed the total worn out motor mounts and now I am on to the transmissions fluid change. Engine oil and coolant change to come.

I am chnaging it because I had no clue when it was done for the last time and my pan was leaking so I am tackling those problems as well.

now comes my question, the shop manual describes to drain the pan and the flywheel plug. Doing this I also noticed there is a drain plug behind the transmisson pan. Should I drain that one as well? Or what is that for?

That is the port for the pressure test.

HTH
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Twan-Sloot

Great thanks!

How is this for an oil pan innterms of sludge and metal particles? I can see slight fine chips really small. Fluid was quite new actually does look darker in person than on the picture though.

J. Gomez

The small metal pieces could be from anywhere in the inside, if yours is working correctly I would not worry too much.

I would strongly suggest to place a few magnets around the pan and also epoxy one on the drain plug, just for safe keeping.   ;)
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Twan-Sloot

Roger Zimmermann

To get access to that flywheel plug, you have to remove the starter motor and the filler plate . As the oil in your transmission is looking rather fresh, I would not do that until you have plenty of time to spend!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Twan-Sloot

Got the engine oil pan and transmission cover of anyway, already drained it.  :D