News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

electronic ignition conversion...never again!

Started by 49caddyman, April 21, 2013, 07:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne Womble 12210

It depends on the set up. On My 31 and 33 Cadillac one point operates four cylinders and the second operates the other four.    But most performance dual point distributors operate together to increase the dwell time, and decrease point wear.  That is actually not in series though, so it should run on one.

TJ Hopland

I can sort of wrap my brain around 2 points and 2 coils and how that maybe could allow the engine to run on half the cylinders, seems like a strange design that would not gain you much but apparently was not that common so that may be the reason.   

Guess I need more info on the dual setup with one coil.  Is this it?

Both are open no ground to the coil
A closes which means coil is now grounded
B closes and also grounds coil
A opens but coil is still grounded by B
B opens and the coil now fires
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Caddy Wizard

Dual point plates on a OHV V8 Cadillac use two point sets and operate with one coil.  The "dwell" time or angle is the angle through which the points are closed (and during which time the coil is charging).  Once the points open, the coil discharges its stored energy through the spark plug wire.  In a dual point set up, the two point sets are timed to largely overlap, but with a slight difference (I think it is about 7 degrees).  In this configuration, the two point sets are in parallel, I think, and the coil doesn't fire until both point sets have opened (as long as one of them is grounded/closed, the coil is still charging).  So even if one point set goes bad, you could open the bad one up completely and still run on just the other point set.  Anyway, that is my understanding.

I do know for sure that my cars have run better on dual points than on any other ignition.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)