News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Tires for my 59

Started by Makandriaco, May 20, 2013, 12:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makandriaco

I am looking to buy a set of tires. My 59 4 door sedan has 3 sort of good WW's and a totally different 4th one. (also the extra is different).

Question 1: What are the dimensions of the tire I need to look for?
Question 2: Where do I get (not to expensive) WW tires that fit my vehicle?
Question 3: Would these ebay tires fit and look good?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coker-Classic-Bias-Ply-Tire-G78-15-Whitewall-Bias-Ply-62800-Each-/330915925790?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d0c204f1e&vxp=mtr#ht_1558wt_921

Thank you all
1959 Series 62 4 Window Sedan

Always loved Cadillacs.

Chris Conklin

My "bible" lists a tire size of 8.20x15 when installing white walls (8.00x15 black wall). The listing you linked to is an 8.05 tread width. It would work and look good. I'm not sure on the white wall width however, the literature I have shows a wide white and a narrower white wall on different models. The original equipment tires were either U.S Royal, Firestone, or Goodrich. The tire in the link also seems to be at a pretty good price. But, it IS a 1959 Cadillac, money is no object!  8)
Chris Conklin

Makandriaco

You do have a point there, but I plan to gradually restore it to the best of my capability, but for now, I want to be able to drive it soon, would it be wiser to have normal black wall tires for the time being and wait for the money to put the corret WW?

Always loved Cadillacs.

Makandriaco

I also saw a set of Inserts that make normal black tires look like WW, do those work? are they horrible?

Always loved Cadillacs.

gary griffin

We used to use the snap on white walls in the 50's. The good part is if you curbed them you could get more. I doubt they could be used with modern tubeless tires though.

Your car is very heavy and valuable, do not skimp on the tires.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Makandriaco on May 20, 2013, 03:49:58 PM
You do have a point there, but I plan to gradually restore it to the best of my capability, but for now, I want to be able to drive it soon, would it be wiser to have normal black wall tires for the time being and wait for the money to put the corret WW?

There are some things that no '59 Cadillac should be asked to do. And wearing blackwalls is one of them.  ;)

Seriously though, I'd suggest the following: If you plan to use the car somewhat regularly, perhaps install a set of economy 235-75R-15 WW radials while you're restoring it. At a later date when/if you decide to take the car to a higher level, then treat it to a set of correct 8.20-15 2 1/4" WWW biases for the ultimate look.

Radials will not only perform much better but will outlast biases. WWW radials will be more expensive than WW - that's your decision if it's worth the extra cost to you. 

*Note WW= whitewall (narrow); WWW= wide whitewall. 

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Bill Caddyshack

Call Richard at Diamondback Classic Radials and get a set of four with the correct WW that will last you a very long time! I think they were $229 each and you can get a $20/tire discount if you mention Dik Wesson.

I have them on all my antique cars. Never had a problem! They balance beautifully (not like some others) and look and drive great!  Do remember to have the mounting and balancing shop put the weights on the inside, so your full-face hubcaps will fit snugly and securely.

http://www.dbtires.com/