News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Did I miss the boat?

Started by veesixteen, June 02, 2013, 08:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

veesixteen

What is this ?
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

R Schroeder

A Cadillac emblem, with UGLY behind it.
Roy

chris cunliffe

1957 Eldorado Seville #967

59-in-pieces

I WANT ONE,
right next to my 47 convertible, 59 Eldo. Biarritz and XLR.
I would think that if there were a concept of an XLR next to a magnificent 16 cylinder of its time, how futuristic it might have seemed - and maybe ugly too.
It is concepts such as this, in a great many parts of our lives, that keep us dreaming and designing and building and striving for the next better widget.
Futuristic cars also allow us to enjoy the new automotive technologies, and at the same time to look back with nostalgia for the "good ol'times" - which is in part perhaps why some us are in this club, and have the cars we drive, both new and old.
And well, the future is not that far away.
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Louis Smith

Quote from: Roy Schroeder on June 02, 2013, 08:33:48 AM
A Cadillac emblem, with UGLY behind it.
Roy

Yes it might be considered ugly by many, but after reading its description, it sounds like a very interesting concept for the future.  Just imagine having a a car with basically 4 wheels and 24 tires.  Truly function over form.  Of course there will be those that will still long for days gone by when Cadillacs had their fins.  Who knows, quite possibly Cadillac will find room for fins in cars of the future, such they have with their current offerings.  Hopefully they can keep the eggcrate grille in the front and fins in the rear.

Louis Smith

Quote from: 49er on June 02, 2013, 02:56:46 PM
This to me is another brain aneurysm. Even in a future which I can't see it doesn't in my few offer a practical answer to a family, even leaving out the dog and groceries. In a practical sence, unaffordable to the masses. You would have to pay for all that durability up front, since they would never see you again. Anyone with hemmoroids, forget it. Over 50, you'd have to have a small lift to get out of it , if you could ever get into it without a spasm in your back or your artificial knee having to be replaced. In my view, mine only, these things and some past additions were designed after multiple bad trips on LSD. They or it should be immediately crushed or pushed over a cliff and removed from the face of the Earth. That's just one man's opining, I understand. I'm working to hard trying to keep my foot into a 50-60 year old Cadillacs then to worry what's coming down the road. I heard we were going to Mars in the 2030s. They should pack this bad boy aboard for the crew roaming the planet. Never need fixing. We would have to cut the roof off to get in there with their suits on. Just one man's thoughts. Art

Art, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel about this concept car.  Allow me to play devils advocate.  How many cars today are really practical and affordable for the masses?  I think not many, especially a most of the Cadillacs of today.  Most Cadillacs start in the $35,000 + range at the low end.  At 182 inches long and room for only 5 "average" sized adults, they are no where near the size and comfort of Cadillacs of the past, that we have all come to know and love.  I won't even mention other "specialty" brands such as Corvettes etc.  If its comfort and size and practicality you want, then look at crossovers, suv's and yes even a pick up truck, especially a pickup truck.  One of my favorite vehicles in recent history was an extended cab Chevy Silverado.  It had it all, comfort, size, luxury, safety etc., not to mention all the room to haul most merchandise one would pick up during most shopping trips.

Louis Smith

Quote from: 49er on June 02, 2013, 05:57:42 PM
Louis, I basically agree. There are cars across the spectrum for all classes and incomes. Cadillac, for the better incomes of that spectrum. But when this thing looks like a giant praying Mantis about to have babies what the heck would thier sub of the day look like, a huge T rex on the ground with appendicitis. I'd crush that thing with a big Cat d9 and push it right over the cliff in a heartbeat. I'd fire the whole department next. Close up shop wor a week and drive my 49 home.  Better yet, id load that thing and a few more of these dream blood clots into the giant belly of a C-5 Galaxy and fly it directly into the nearest mountain. One man's opinion. Sorry if I offend the sensibilities, but someone's got to say it. Art

Art to be sure you are not offending my sensibilities and I hope no one elses.  I firmly believe that it is only through discussion, that we, as a society can move ahead.  Just for the record, while I find the car, shall I say interesting, and better off in the next Star Wars or Star Trek, movie, I really can't see myself, running out to buy one, even if I could afford it.  It might be interesting to see that not only Cadillac has this type of concept, even Mercedes had one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRvloDUL6Kw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=xK4tRhHI48A&NR=1

I wonder how Cadillac enthusiasts in the 50's felt about the Cadillac Cyclone Concept car.

R Schroeder

Maybe they stole some of the design from Mercedes, a couple of years ago. I'm glad I was born in 47, so I could enjoy the cars of the last 66 years.
You can have the future.
Roy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK4tRhHI48A

Bill Podany #19567

Roy,

I agree with you.

Bill Podany
Retired CEO Shopko Stores.
Green Bay, WI
1941 60 Special Fleetwood
1955 Eldorado

pinkcaddy96

I believe that is the Cadillac "SIxteen"....a sixteen cylinder.  It has an $8000 Bacarrat crystal in the center of the steering wheel.  It is a six figure car.

Louis Smith

Quote from: pinkcaddy96 on June 03, 2013, 01:32:00 PM
I believe that is the Cadillac "SIxteen"....a sixteen cylinder.  It has an $8000 Bacarrat crystal in the center of the steering wheel.  It is a six figure car.

The Sixteen has the Cadillac logo carved out of solid crystal on the steering wheel and a Bulgari clock on the dashboard.