News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

What's the difference between the 1965 & 1966 Fleetwoods?

Started by AMCazares, July 04, 2013, 08:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AMCazares

I'm debating on hunting for a 1965 or 1966 Fleetwood. Can anyone give me a good rundown of the differences? I'm leaning more towards the 1966, but purely based on my love for the 1966 Eldorado. Thanks in advance for the knowledge!

Adrian Cazares

Davidinhartford

Which model?   The Eldorado?, the Sixty Special? The Series 75s? or the Brougham?

AMCazares

cadillactim

The  65 has a lot more chrome than the 66, which got dechromed a lot. 

The 66 has the variable ratio steering, 65 doesn't.

The 66 has more woodgrain on the door panels.

I'm not positive, but I think the Brougham package came out in 66.

Tim

Tim Groves

Davidinhartford

The Brougham was an option on the 65 Sixty Special.   Whereas it was a separate model in 66.

The 66 had the picnic tables, the 65s did not.

Here is the rear compartment of a 65.  Nice wood and footrests.   

Below is the 66 with the picnic tables and much thicker real wood on the doors.

Barry

Having grown up with a 66 Brougham, I think it's far superior to the 65 !
Barry Norman
1958 Biarritz
1961Biarritz
1976 Bicentennial
1976 Fleetwood Talisman
1961Continental Convertible

Davidinhartford

A 65 with the Brougham package is simply elegant.

A 66 Fleetwood Brougham is truly opulent.

Either one is a looker, but those fold down tables in the 66 just blow people away at car shows.     It's a shame they dropped them in 68.

Meltudball

I always felt the picnic tables, like the vanities of the 57 brougham was silly, and just done for the sake of saying "look what I got".  Can anyone really picture a stately dowager, ala Miss Daisy, using her picnic table to eat her hot dog?

Jason Edge

They would make a cool laptop/tablet/DVD player table in this day and age.  It seems the usefulness of the amenities they pack in these Luxury Automobiles ebbs and and flows with time.   The many ashtray and lighters in my 64 CDV is a good example...but I do use the lighter to charge the iphone, ipod, laptop, and portable boombox. :-)
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Perhaps '66 Brougham owners rode about "awsking" one another if they had any Grey Poupon for their hot dogs enjoyed upon the picnic tables.   ;D

*The 1965 Sixty Special/Brougham interior gets my vote. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Walter Youshock

'66 also got the adjustable reading lamps in the sail panels.  Really, I think the "picnic table" idea wasn't so much to "eat on the run" but was also attractive to businessmen where they would have a desk of sorts in the rear compartment.  Chrysler came out with the "Mobile Director" models in the late '60's as well, catering to the busy executive.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Agreed.

"Picnic tables" is a term of parlance.

"Writing tables" or "Fold-out Desks"  was the official description of the feature used by Cadillac- or something similar.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

AMCazares

Wow, I am simply blown away by the responses! This is my first post on CLC and am very happy I joined! I think I see a '66 in my future...thanks, guys!

StahlMaster

The rear bumper of the 66 had a metal shield below the license plate, the 65 did not.  On almost all 66's this plate is bent upwards do to the fact that the center of the bumper stuck out farther then the rest.  IIRC, you needed to remove the rear bumper to replace the rear taillight bulbs.