News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

68 Eldorado - NO FIRE!!!

Started by Mendoza, July 15, 2013, 12:13:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mendoza

I recently purchased a 68 Eldorado. The previous owner said that it was started regularly but I am finding out that it was not.
I replaced the starter, ignition coil, points and condenser, distributor rotor, spark plugs, battery and the  distributor cap and wires are like new. I have checked all power and voltage getting 12.8 volts to everything and still not getting any spark from the coil to the distributor cap.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Thanks in advance,
C. Esquivel

Glen

I hope you saved the old parts because some of the new parts on the market today are junk from China. 

You did not say anything about getting gas to the carburetor, but you did say thee is no spark, so I assume that is where the problem is and you are getting fuel. 

I would check the points gap and check to be sure they are opening and closing as the engine turns over. 

Also check to be sure the condenser is connected correctly.  I’ve had problems getting that wire terminal in the right place. 

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Dave Shepherd

Basics here, do you have at least 6-7v when cranking at the primary side of the coil?

cedric esquivel

Car's been sittings for ten yrs, gas gauge says 1/4 of a tank really didn't want to fire it up w/ the old gas but carburetor needs to be rebuilt. Replaced w/clear fuel filter jst to see if fuel was running through the line I see nothing.thinking bout disconnecting the fuel line @ the pump & putting the line in a 3 gallon gas can. Points are set @ .17, & distributor turns when cranking, also have heard the plus side of the coil runs to a resistor on the firewall , have been unable to locate.

TJ Hopland

IF you connect your volt meter between plus and minus of the coil and crank are you seeing the pulses?  It should bounce from very low or no volts to around 10 volts depending on how fast your meter is.    If it stays on look for a shorted condenser or other short in the wire between the points and coil.  If its off look for a broken connection between the points and coil or a broken ground inside the distributor. 

Even if the resistor is out you should still get spark during cranking from a wire hooked to the starter solenoid.  The symptom of a bad resistor (very rare with the wire type) would be its starts to fire but when you release the key from the crank position it quits.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

cedric esquivel

I'm experiencing the exact example you jst described in your lst paragraph Mr. Hopeland , stl would like to locate resistor housing would you know where to locate?. I will try your suggestion & get back to you probably Wednesday night as I'm in school Monday & Tuesday. Your help is greatly appreciated!