News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 Dual Master Cylinder Upgrade?

Started by Ed Eckhart #12747, March 17, 2013, 04:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupe Deville

How do you bleed one of these systems? The pedal on my 57 goes to the floor right now. Car sat for a few years. Any ideas?

Thanks

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Walter Youshock

Booster may be shot.  You first bleed the booster, then the wheel cylinders.  Start at the fitting on the top of the booster, then the one on the lower part of the booster, then farthest to closest wheel cylinders.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Coupe Deville

Does the booster run on vaccum at all? Or just hydraulic? Does the original master have a risidual valve built in? I wonder if fluid rolling back into the master is common because of the wheel clynders being higher than M/C. I just need to get the car out of the driveway and too my house.

Thanks for the quick responses.

-Gavin
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Walter Youshock

Yes, the large chamber to the rear of the unit against the firewall is the vacuum chamber.  Basically, depressing the pedal forces fluid from the master into the booster where the fluid unseats a check valve allowing the vacuum within the booster to force the fluid back out to the cylinders under pressure.

The master doesn't have a check valve. 
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Coupe Deville

Is there a procedure for removing a rusted bleederscrew. The bleeders on the booster are not stripped but rusted. I really don't want to snap them. Any ideas?

Thanks

-Gavin

Walter Youshock

Soak them with PB Blaster?  Really sounds like it's time to have the booster redone.

You CAN bypass the booster by running the line from the master directly to the brake line distributor on the frame.  Chances are you won't have any power assist or very little even if you can bleed that booster. 
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham