News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Exhaust Manifold Gasket

Started by waterzap, September 16, 2013, 04:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterzap

What is the consensus on exhaust manfold gaskets?
I know originally most engines come without gaskets. However once you take things apart, what about then?

Mechanic said to just use high temp RTV, gaskets inhibit heat transfer. Someone else said the more expensive copper ones are good (if car is not for show), and someone else said just to use the regular cheap ones.
I have a set of copper gaskets. Why would I NOT want to use them?
Leesburg, AL

Big Fins

Do you have an exhaust leak? If not, why mess with it?

If so, you answered your own question on the usage of the copper gaskets.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

waterzap

The exhaust gaskets blew out…previous owner. So took off the manifolds, took them to a shop to have them machined. I think they took off too much metal, the edges did seem a bit thin. Just used some high temp RTV, but cracked within 5 min of driving. So got another set. NOT going to take it to the shop again.
Leesburg, AL

Matt Innocenzi

Waldo,

I am going through a similar experience (see my posts on exhaust).  Unlike you, I was foolish and did not get my exhaust manifolds machined to make them true.  I learned my lesson.

As for the gaskets, I have always used gaskets and will always use a gasket between any metal to metal joint.  No questions asked.  The RTV sealant, if used at all for exhaust manifolds, should be the copper one and used as a belts and suspenders. 

Take the manifold off, get a set of new gaskets, and try them dry.  That should solve your problem.

Matt
Matt I
CLC #21633
1958 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1962 Cadillac Fleetwood

SixDucks

My .02

I have always used pure copper for exhaust gaskets and never had a leak. Dead soft copper seals surface imperfections and won't burn out. I would be inclined to spray both sides of the gasket with copper coat. You may substitute high temp RTV as I have heard this works well but my experiences have been with copper gaskets and spray on copper coat.
Terry
Current:
1941 coupe
1962 Fleetwood
1988 Brougham
Previous:
1956 Series 62 Sedan
1963 Fleetwood
1975 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance
1989 Brougham

waterzap

Im in the camp of copper gaskets with copper spray at the moment. Installed one that way so far. Hope it works
Thanks
Leesburg, AL

Coupe

I had tried all the basic exhaust gaskets on my '62 with no success then posted my predicament here. A member recommended  Remflex gaskets and it solved the problem without the machining manifold.

http://catalog.remflex.com/
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

waterzap

Thanks. Ill use the copper ones now, seeing I have them. If that does not work, will try the remflex. Only thought I have is how it transfers heat?
Heard that the gasket has to trasfer heat to keep the manifold cooler.. Copper is pretty good at that, not sure about the graphite gaskets.
Leesburg, AL

waterzap

Taking the bolts off on the new manifold, where the manifold goes the exhaust, broke one off. Put it in evaporust for a day, the one came out, other one broke off.
So not taking it back to the shop (never again), I now have to get the broken bolt out.
I already drilled a decent size hole through the broken off bolt. Can now either use easy out, or my other thought was, to take some JB Weld, and glue another grade 8 bolt inside the hole. Thought gluing might be the safer bet, because there is so much area, the bolt should sit well.
Leesburg, AL

SixDucks

The safest thing to do is weld a nut to the end of the stud, heat the stud cherry red,allow to cool for 2-3 mins then carefully turn the stud out. This method has almost always been successful for me.

Terry
Current:
1941 coupe
1962 Fleetwood
1988 Brougham
Previous:
1956 Series 62 Sedan
1963 Fleetwood
1975 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance
1989 Brougham

mgbeda

I wanted to ask the same question about manifold gaskets yes/no.  I am doing the final reassembly on my '76 SDV engine.

I also want to know if I would lose judging points if I have exhaust manifold gaskets.

Thanks,

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)