News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 Fleetwood

Started by jasonr, September 26, 2013, 09:04:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasonr

I was hoping someone could help me with a couple of questions on our 57.  There is a device located on top of the dashboard on the drivers side.  Looks like a light or a sensor of some sort, near the front corner.  Can someone tell me what this is?  Also, embarrassed to ask, but how do you turn the windshield wipers on?  Thanks for any help!
Jason

Walter Youshock

That's the Autronic-Eye sensor.  It dims your headlights automatically.  The wipers are activated by sliding the chrome switch on the driver's side dogleg forward.  DO NOT FORCE IT!  If it doesn't move, then the cable is sticking and you cold damage the cable or switch.

Get a copy of the Owner's Manual and Shop Manual.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

redsails

Quote from: jasonr on November 22, 2013, 10:09:11 AM
I was hoping someone could help me with a couple of questions on our 57.  There is a device located on top of the dashboard on the drivers side.  Looks like a light or a sensor of some sort, near the front corner.  Can someone tell me what this is?  Also, embarrassed to ask, but how do you turn the windshield wipers on?  Thanks for any help!
Jason

I think I've read on here that the engine must be running for the vacuum powered wipers to work. Check out eBay for a '57 owners manual, that may help you with where all the bells and whistles are located.

Good luck!
Brian

Walter Youshock

Yep, the car has to be running.  If you're having trouble with your idle, this is one area you want to address.  The motor AND WASHER TANK/PUMP can open up a vacuum leak. 
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

jasonr

Yes! That all makes sense.  Thanks again guys!
Jason