News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'66 DeVille Conv Wiring Harness - help!

Started by Davidrubin, December 11, 2013, 02:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davidrubin

Hi All, a member of my region sent me this call for help.  Any responses will be forwarded by my friend and region member Rob:

I do look forward to joining you all at upcoming events this spring, but I have a real problem â€" I am in need of a wire harness for my 1966 Deville convertible.  Caddy Daddy does not have one and Painless cannot make one up due to the auto-climateizer.  Does anyone have any ideas as to where I might be able to get one?  Thanks,

Thanks for looking,

Dave Rubin
Lower Hudson Valley Region

austingta

Contact Jeff--

Jeff Burland <Jeff@willingtoncadillac.com

He is a great asset.

Dan LeBlanc

M&H Electrical Fabricators are your go to people here. The dash wiring harness is $534, you supply your firewall connector and they send you a harness. Guaranteed fit with all the correct wiring colours.

www.wiringharness.com
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Chuck Swanson

Many will do the dash, not the issue.  It's the under carpet main harness that is the issue as it uses the flat ribbon cable.  I believe M&H though may attempt if you give the old and order dash too.  I'm thinking of using them too.  I realize the ribbon cable will probably never be reproduced, but a comparable regular wire harness could be made.  Be nice if someone offered this one.  Interested in working a deal with M&H if they can do yours and mine at same time :)   Maybe they can start reproducing.

My local shop will do too.  Not going to put a used, even if nice condition, wiring harness under carpet after full resto.  Have a few of those. 

CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

gary griffin

I would try YNZ in California or Rhode Island Wiring in Rhode Island of course. The way they work is if anybody has ever bought a harness from them for the same model car they have the correct information stored in their records and will duplicate it for you.  If not they will need your harness to copy it. As to the ribbon cable I am not sure what they would do but they probably have a solution. Your car is not so rare that no one has had this problem before. No sense reinventing the wheel here. I have used both companies and they both provided good products but not cheap products.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: gary griffin on December 13, 2013, 12:40:52 PM
I would try YNZ in California or Rhode Island Wiring in Rhode Island of course. The way they work is if anybody has ever bought a harness from them for the same model car they have the correct information stored in their records and will duplicate it for you.  If not they will need your harness to copy it. As to the ribbon cable I am not sure what they would do but they probably have a solution. Your car is not so rare that no one has had this problem before. No sense reinventing the wheel here. I have used both companies and they both provided good products but not cheap products.

Gary, thanks for the comments and info.  Yes, agree car not so rare that there aren't harnesses.  actually all harnesses are available except for the doors, floor, and rear windows harness.  (bottom line, all harnesses under carpet and up sides.)   The one problem you run into is that the company that will offer to reproduce, will need all harnesses as the floor connects to most others.  I have multiple harnesses, but some with some cuts and not sure it whole.  I have one more parts car, but haven't had a chance to yank out yet.   
You also want the under carpet harness to be compatible with all the other connecting harnesses, so that probably means reusing the connectors on the under floor harness, converting the flat ribbon to  round.  I believe I have called everyone over the years and no one has ever made.  Someone here please correct me if I'm wrong.  Since M&H uses the amer autowire repros, they probably have best shot of doing, so leaning towards them when I confirm a good used harness.  Anyone else have good '66 uncut under floor and door/rear window harnesses?
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

60eldo

I have a 65 but Im not sure if its the same, might be, all wirring still there,let me know if I can help
Jon. Kluczynski

Chuck Swanson

Not sure if 65 the same.  I do know that the convertible is different than other models.  The 4 door ribbon cable is different connector, by one.   
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T