News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1941 60 special installation of yoke throwout bearing etc

Started by mr41cadillac, December 31, 2013, 07:22:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr41cadillac

can someone tell me the procedure for installing the throwout bearing 2 retainers sleeve retainer and yoke. I had help removing but am trying to reassemble but its been a year and I don't remember. I have the rebuilt engine out of car and the flywheel on and clutch pressure plate on and clutch disk on. if anyone has a detail explanation I thank you.john   

Steve Passmore

I'm going to presume you have the bell housing on because if not you will not get it on afterwards. Working through the bottom of bell housing put your throwout bearing into place using the gearbox sleeve to hold it there, slide the yoke in and engage it with the bearing, remove the yoke and you should be able to get the clips in place through the hole in the back of the bellhouseing.  Least thats how I remember it from 2 years ago. 
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Bob Schuman

John,

Another way is to assemble the throwout bearing and its two retaining clips to the clutch fork. unscrew the pivot ball, which screws into the bellhousing from the back(transmission)side several turns, then it is easy to put the fork and bearing in place. Screw the pivot all the way back in ,then push the flat spring onto the shank of the pivot ball.
I fought trying to install the two clips for hours before learning the above method, which makes it easy(relatively).
Bob Schuman,CLC#254
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

mr41cadillac

thanks bob ive just spent 2 hours and couildnt do it by myself. tomorrow I will do it as you said. I assume after inastallation it hangs loose until I attach the transmission ?   thanks john