News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'76 CDV rear springs?

Started by Hankk17, December 24, 2013, 09:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hankk17

One thing that irritates me to no end is that my CDV sits on an angle with the drivers' side lower than the passenger side so it looks to me like new springs are in order.  I've heard that "new" springs will be too stiff but have never heard how to remedy this except that they'll just wear in over time.  Is that really the case?

Are there other things I should be replacing at the same time?  (bushings, etc.)

Can anyone recommend a manufacturer that they've used?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

-Hank K.
Wherever you go... There you are

Aprules2

When I needed new springs for my old 75 the springs from Napa crossed over to some of the cheaper cars chevys and olds stuff like that. So I was worried that Id lose the "Cadillac Ride" I found a company called Eaton Detroit Spring they actually have factory specs for the car and will custom wind you factory correct springs. They are a little pricy but it would ride right. I never got to buy them but that is the ones I would get if I were in the market for new springs.

TJ Hopland

I have had some success in swapping the springs side to side to correct issues like you are having.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Hankk17

yeah I thought about that TJ - but I'll have it all apart and in my warped brain that's the time to put new ones in so I don't have to do the job twice..   ;D

I suppose it couldn't hurt to try and its cheaper!  Thx!

-Hank

Gene Beaird

Hank, also make sure the control arm bushings are in good shape.  I've seen worn/binding bushings cause that.  You don't have gas-charged shocks on that car do you?  If so, one could have lost it's charge, too.

Additionally, you haven't done any work on the front end, have you?  Improperly-clocked front springs can make a car sag on one side, too.

Just some other things to check.
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Hankk17

Hey Gene - no front end work that I've done but I'll check the control arm bushings though.  she's got new air shocks in her that mitigate some of the lean but it's definitely still there.

Thanks!

-Hank

mgbeda

I bought a pair of Detroit Eaton springs and installed them in the front of Bessie ('76 Sedan DeVille).  I haven't been able to find out how they ride (that whole lack of engine thing) but they sure fit in nice.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

Hankk17

How are things going on Bessie Mike?  you getting close?

-Hank

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Hank,
Don't mean to be getting into this so late, but do you have "level ride" and are both of your rear shocks functioning?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Hankk17

Nope no level ride.  I was looking at the car when I took it out Christmas Eve and it looks like both the front and rear springs on the drivers side have gotten tired.  I checked the Detroit Eaton online (thanks Aprules!) and it's 160 per set which I guess isn't too horrible.  I just may replace them all at some point in the future..

-hank

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Hank,
If I had not seen the same thing myself I would have doubted it could happen, but a very dear and extremely overweight (she weighed close to 350 pounds) lady in my family started driving at a late age in life.  The car she was driving was a (then) 15 year old Buick Roadmaster that was up to that time OK.  After a couple of years of her driving the car it too had a distinctive "droop" on the driver's side.  Any chance your car's history is similar?
The factory service manual has some specific and simple height measurement procedures, and I might suggest checking them out.  In the process, the actual "culprit" will be uncovered.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Hankk17

I never met the previous owner.  He was an old marine who had died 10 years prior.  his son kept the car in their teeny tiny one-car garage and his wife finally put her foot down and demanded it was time for garage space again.  One thing led to another and I picked it up.. and the sag has been there ever since.

I myself am a big dude - 6-2 and heavier than I'd like to admit, so I know I'm not helping the problem.. but I've driven the car maybe 1500 miles since I bought it three years ago so I think the damage was done long before I got it.

I'd like to think my previous owner kept up with the marine lifestyle and died a happy skinny grunt.. but who knows.

one thing that bothered me most when I had the car repainted was that his marine emblem in the rear window got scraped off during prep.  I need to replace that.

-Hank

TJ Hopland

It also could have to do with where it was parked much of its life.  Parked on uneven ground eventually seems to cause a little sag.   Also if it sat for a real long time with a flat tire.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason