News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

mystery tube1941 60 special carbureator aav

Started by mr41cadillac, January 31, 2014, 03:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr41cadillac

I believe the long metal tube goes on carbureater Stromberg aav at fitting by choke on passenger side but where does it go ? its curved and long thanks john

Steve Passmore

Sounds like your talking about the flout chamber overflow pipe which travels down the bellhouseing in case of flooding.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi John: I agree with Steve. The overflow line comes out of the right top of the carb, drops down and goes back on the right side of the engine, crosses over the top of the bell housing, held in place with a clip attached to a bell housing bolt and then points down toward the ground. Routed this way in order to keep any fuel from the overflow line away from the hot exhaust pipe coming along the right side of the car. Pictures below should help. Bill

mr41cadillac

thank to both of you. that's where it goes. I had pictures before i took engine out but not of the tube past a few inches. its back in place now. all  I need to do now is get my water pump rebuilt and on car and get ignition back on with new wiring in engine compartment  hooked up.  thank yall for taking the time to respond and also post pictures. john

Bill Ingler #7799

John: You might have read my postings before on checking the condition of the wire inside of the metal conduit from the ignition switch to the cap which twists on to the end of the coil. If there are any signs of breaking or missing insulation on that wire, where it connects to the coil, replace that wire. Remember that wire inside that conduit is as old as the wiring you are replacing in the car. This wire can short out inside the conduit and as someone once said, you will know this when you have the letters GM branded in your thumb and fore finger after turning on the ignition. This is a difficult wire to replace but I believe Marty Watkins, a club member, still offers this service.
Bill

mr41cadillac

thanks bill yes I have read your post and that's why I have the ignition out for that wire replacement. I also just ordered the original type ground strap, the one attached to motor mount, from mcveys.