News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1939 flywheel ring gear

Started by TimG, January 29, 2014, 03:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimG

Hi
Does the ring gear on 1939 Cad flywheel interchange with any other vehicle, or are they still produced?
The one on my car is pretty well chewed up
Thanks,
Tim Geggatt

joeceretti

It's a complicated issue...

Which car is this for?

joeceretti

I will smarten up eventually. I see you said fywheel RING GEAR. Here's the info in interchangeability. I don't know about availability or if anyone is making them. I doubt there is... but I just don't know.

Classic

I understand that ring gear teeth can be welded-up and re-machined, and that it's not to big a job.  Check with an engine rebuilder.
Gene Menne
CLC #474

Wayne Womble 12210

I know nothing about the 39, but on some cars the ring can be turned around or shifted so the starter will not hit the same spot.   This is an old trick on old cars and tractors. It is especially common for 4 cylinder engines to come to rest in the same place, so the impact of the starter drive wears out the ring gear in certain places.  The old-uns would take a torch and heat the ring, and then shift the ring a little. This is not as prevalent on V8s, but they still do come to rest in certain spots. In bad cases, they would take the ring off and turn it over exposing good new teeth.  This might not be possible on the 39 Caddilac, but its worth a look.   

TimG

I have actually turned ring gears on flywheels in the past to get good teeth at the resting point, but this gear is so badly damaged, it is beyond that fix.
Flipping might work for a while, but teeth are worn almost entire width in a couple areas, so it would be a problem waiting to recur.
I'd rather do the job once and correctly, so if I can't find a replacement I'll try welding and machining.
Tim

harry s

Tim, Not sure if this applies to your flywheel or not, but one of the causes for a chewed up ring gear is converting the car to 12V. The additional speed and power of the bendix driving the starter gear into the ring gear takes a toll over time.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum