News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Caution on the RC-7 Radiator Cap for 41-48 Cadillac

Started by Bill Ingler #7799, May 17, 2014, 08:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Ingler #7799

While restoring another car and needing garage space, I stored my 47 convert in another garage and after a year storage, was checking vitals prior to starting. Removed the radiator cap to check coolant and you can see in the picture below what I saw when I removed the radiator cap. The rubber gasket at the bottom of the cap stuck to the flange in the radiator neck thereby removing the sealing gasket from the cap when I turned the cap to remove.  There went one RC-7 cap and if you own a 41-48 you know these caps are getting very scarce and expensive. The rubber in these original caps is getting old so if you plan on some storage time either remove the cap so it does not stick or put a small amount of grease or Vaseline on the gasket to help from sticking.   Bill