News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'57 365 ci rods and crank

Started by Alex-57, May 26, 2014, 10:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex-57

Hi all -

I'm in the process of rebuilding my 365 Cadillac motor and am trying to not completely re invent the wheel.

On another board someone suggested that the Cad. rods in 57 might have been forged. Does anyone know this to be correct? If so are they a good forging? I've read that the old forged stuff wasn't all that good. 

Does anyone know anything about the crank as well? Is it just a cast crank, nothing special?

I'm getting the heads done as well during this rebuild (the seats were bad). Any good advice on things that these style of heads like to make them preform better? I think one of the previous owners stuck in bigger valves a long time ago.

Finally, timing sets w/chains. Is there a better option than the stock 365 one?

Thanks for reading, I've posted these same questions other places and no one seems to know much about these motors.

Alex

Dave Shepherd

You can usually tell a forged crank and rods by the width of the parting lines , forged is much wider than cast, google the question ( in general), for info and pics.

Warren Rauch #4286

The 1957 Cadillac data book says that both crank and rods are forged. The rods forged steel and the crank forged alloy steel. Forged and steel  parts are used because they are stronger than cast iron.  Cadillac proudly made the best engine they could.
   I have never heard of crank breaking. Rods do fail. Look for cracks,stretch marks or maybe have them magnifluxed. Warren

Alex-57

Thanks for the replies! Ya I looked for some pictures on the internet of forged rods but I still don't have the eye yet to just call out part types. To me they looked just like some big block rods for the most part.

Cool to find out that both the crank and rods on the 365 are forged. I'll get some forged pistons to make it really durable.

Any info known on the heads to make them work better or timing sets that are interchangeable? Just thought I'd see what I can find out while I have some of the classic Cad. guys attention.

Alex