News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Source of seat springs for 40's Cadillac

Started by gary griffin, June 14, 2014, 10:22:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

Where can I find replacement springs for my 1942-6719 restoration?  My upholsterer is a small shop and she is in the process of closing her business and wants me to find and purchase the springs she needs to finish my job. There are quite a few needed and Monday I will go inspect the seats and inventory the broken ones.

I would assume there are differences in sizes and gauges of wire and quality also. I am  a complete novice in this area and want to find quality springs rather than cheap imported junk. Possibly used Cadillac springs would be better than taking my chances on new ones?

I assume I am not the first member to be faced with this problem and I will appreciate any advice presented.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Steve Passmore

Gary, theres nothing wrong with obtaining modern springs, they will outlive you and your kids probably.     If you look in Google under upholstery supplies you will find some no doubt. Your biggest problem is you may be expected to buy bunches of 50 and a normal seat base has about 6 different sizes and gauges.  You will have a lot left over.   Sometimes you can find a smaller upholstery suppliers who sell retail and might have some but there are hundreds of variants whether they will have what you want is another issue.    I used to buy them in bundles but don't rebuild from the springs up too much these days,  this is why I never throw old spring bases away and they are pilled up on my shelfs.   Find out the size and gauge and I might be able to help.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe