News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

42 to 47 Trim interchangibility

Started by gary griffin, June 30, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

Has anyone ever figured out which stainless and chrome trim is interchangeable for these years?

It appears that possibly the fender spears, windshield moldings sills and so forth may work. Of course the grilles and bumpers differ but the others may not?
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Bill Ingler #7799

Gary: Big question and will answer the best I can and but only as it relates to the series 62. If you want to know a specific part on any other series, please let me know and I will look up in the parts book. Outside stainless steel windshield molding as well as the inside chrome windshield molding -the same for the 42-47 series 62 coupe and sedan but 42- 47 series 62 convert molding height wise was shorter because the windshield glass was a shorter height to allow for the top front convert header bow in figuring the height of the series 62 car. Stainless steel outside door belt molding on 42-47 62 coupe and 62 convert the same.1942-47 62 coupe and convert rear fender spears were the same, the 62 sedan was a 2 piece spear. Series 61 coupe spear I believe was the same length as the 62 coupe or convert but the curvature of the 61 coupe spear was flatter to conform to the flat side of the 61 coupe fender. I think the sill plates were all different as the parts book list different part numbers for each series. Exterior door handles were the same for the 46-7  62 sedan and coupe but the stem of the 46-7, series 62 convert handle was about 3/8 inch longer because the convert door was wider to take into account the extra width required for the hydraulic windows. I cant say on the 42 convert as it did not have hydraulic windows and could well be the same length as the sedan and coupe. Fender skirts were the same for 46-7 but only different for the 42 which had extra side trim on the skirt and a different locking bar for 42 skirt. Vent window regulators for 42-7 sedan & coupe are the same but slightly longer for the 46-7 convert as the same reason for the door handle stem to accommodate a wider door for the hydraulics in the 46-7 .     Bill