News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Installing Pertrinix Ignition 1940 lasalle

Started by jmscan06, June 26, 2014, 09:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmscan06

I plan on installing a Pertronix Ignition on my LaSalle Flathead 322.   I would like to discuss with somebody who has experience with this installation.   

John Scanlan
Member # 28099     

joeceretti

I've not done this but have considered it. I would very much like to know your experience once you do it or not. The only thing that has stopped me is the requirement to use their higher energy coil.

I have considered taking one of my spare coils, drilling it out so it looks correct. Passing the wire through and mounting the pertronix coil under the dash. I can't handle the modern coil on my carefully restored firewall.

I would really love to know how it runs and especially 1) how the idle changes and 2) how the increase in revs goes from idle to driving.

TJ Hopland

I didn't think they required you to replace the coil, thought it was only recommended to get the full benefit of the system. 

I'm not real up on that era but the one tip I give anyone that is doing anything to an ignition system on a engine that runs is to take several timing readings before you make any changes.   Do it at various RPM's and vacuum settings (if its got a vacuum advance).  That way if it does not run as well as it did before you made changes you should be able to return to the original settings.    One thing I have heard about those conversions is the timing often moves slightly which could be good or bad or not make a difference.   If you have the before readings you should be able to return things back to where you started.

I have also found that often times when you take these initial readings you sometimes find issues like stuck advance weights or a non working vacuum advance.  Fixing those may fix the reason you were doing the upgrade for in the first place or get you an even bigger improvement.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

signart

Haven't used one in my Cadillac, but I installed one in my '59 Chevy. The Pertronix units produced today are very reliable and installation is straight forward. Your distributor must be in good condition, and I would recommend using the Pertronix coil even if you had to use the installation mentioned by Joe. As a rule you want to keep the coil wire as short as possible. You will more than likely find that a wider than standard gap in your spark plugs (mine  +.05) will produce best results. Contact Pertronix techs for best advice on this.

Art Woody
Art D. Woody

Bill Ingler #7799

My first car was a 1910 Model T, then a Model A and over the years Cadillacs, Buicks, MG, TBirds and my worse mistake a 64 Corvette. Except for the Model T, all have had the traditional ignition system. Yes over the years I have had a few burned points, a bad condenser and etc which all required me to pop the hood and get out the tools. Too me that is the fun part of this old car hobby as well as it makes you understand your car. Now I am seeing more and more posting as to going from original equipment to supposedly new items that I guess,make you car run better than the original equipment.

So please tell me why a Pertrinix Ignition would be better for my 47 than the original ignition system now on the car?   Bill

Martin Michaels

I agree with Bill,the reason I drive old Cadillacs and Harley's is to enjoy them the way they were built,to go thru the work it takes to keep old iron going,to learn the little quirks every individual motor has, sure it's a pain and greasy sometimes but the originals owners went thru it and it keeps modern life at bay for a while. just my opinion
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green
1980 CDV D Elegance  White

Jay Friedman

Another disadvantage of the Pertronix system that I've heard about is that when it does fail, the motor suddenly stops which, depending on where it happens, could be dangerous.  With bad points, the deterioration is gradual and the symptoms alert you that mean it's time for new ones.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Fred Pennington 25635

Ditto, I grew up changing points and condensers on a few Sunday afternoons a year with my dad.
Why would I want take that away from my son?

Fred P.

Fred Pennington, CLC 25635
1940, LaSalle 5019
1940 LaSalle 5019 parts car
1968 Ford Bronco
1973 Mustang Convertible
2012 Shelby GT500

Steve Passmore

I also agree with the last posts. I have fitted a few electronic ignitions for friends and while I admit they work great what happens when something fails? You have no way of knowing whats wrong and you cant buy a new spare for it at your local parts store, its a tow home job.  The one thing I love about these old motors is you can usually fix them to get you home, not with electronics though, modern cars are testament to that.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Jay Friedman

I believe the Pertronix company itself advises owners to carry a spare distributor in the car in case the system fails since, unlike a points distributor, you can't try fixing whatever is wrong. 

My '49 runs just fine on points and a condenser, which are readily available at a reasonable cost.  I tried a Pertronix system some years ago and it ran fine too, but no better as far as I could tell.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

joeceretti

Can't you just keep the original points and condenser in a bag in your trunk in case of failure on the road? It's a pretty easy switch over.

Even so, I am not switching over. I don't see why I should.

Dave Burke

Hi All,

I put a Pertronix ignition in my 1957 Sedan DeVille because it is a driver and I didn't want to play with point dwell all of the time.  But yes, I saved the points and it is a good idea to keep them in the car just in case.  The installation itself is pretty easy - you practically drop it in.  I added the ignition module to supply a steady 12V to the ignition system and the new coil, but be warned that at least for my car, the coil bracket lacks the mount for the radio interference capacitor.  So far I am happy with the Pertronix ignition.

Best,

Dave Burke
1957 Sedan Deville
1963 Series 62 - Project LUX
1983 Maserati Quattroporte

"Who loves ya, Baby?" - Kojak

Tom Knoebel

I have installed this in my 39 LaSalle and love it. 8 years in the Florida heat, salt and humidity. I believe you have to have a Vacuum advance distributor. 40? or later.
There should be a 6 volt set up available. I converted to 12 Negative ground with a GM single wire alternator. Cadillac has always been a forward thinking company so as a driver I practice the same. Keep a cap, rotor spare unit in the trunk. Change wires every 3 years. The petronics unit is a value compared to annual tune up kits.
Enjoy
Tom
Off to the Great Race in the Villages.
Tom Knoebel

1939 LaSalle 5019, 1940 5019, 1940 5019, 1940 5011

joeceretti

There is a kit for 6v positive without vacuum advance. 1183P6 I think is the model.

TJ Hopland

Another factor these days is the quality of replacement points and condensers.   My opinion and experience lately is that 93.74% of them are complete crap on a good day and even worse the rest of the time.   Many formerly good brand names are now just a name and now that they are selling crap they won't even be that soon.   A lot of them you can see just by looking they are very poorly made.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

joeceretti

I emailed Pertronix to ask about a more authentic looking coil. Here is the response I got. Not really what I wanted to hear but it is what expected. At least they took the time to respond to me, and fairly quickly as well. Also, I am not 100% sure he even understood what I was asking him.

QuoteJoe,

Sorry we will not be making a single terminal coil anytime soon.

Marvin Grebow Jr
PerTronix Inc.
Technical Department

TonyZappone #2624

Have had Pertonix in 47 conv and 58 conv for over ten years.  No problems.  Just the lack of hitch-hiking home from points failure.  Am not a good wrench, so this is good for me.  No change in idle, no change in anything except no needs for points and condenser.  In the process now of installing one in 1936 Pierce-Arrow, eliminating dual points.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle