News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

60 Coupe de Ville

Started by grazza7755, March 22, 2016, 12:30:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grazza7755

Hi Guys and Gals,
New to this forum having just bought, at aged 60, my first Cadillac, a 1960 Coupe de Ville.
My wife and I have just driven it from Melbourne, Victoria to Yamba, New South Wales.
Great trip through great country.
It is in getting a 'Blue Slip' for full road registration today and I have a query about the headlights.
Whilst driving at night the high/low beam switch on the floor works, with the dash sensor overriding the high beam when lights approach.
However, I am unable to get the high beam on during the day, even in a workshop.
The mechanic wants to sight them working before approving the paperwork.
Is there something that I am missing here?
Hoping for a solution.
Regards
Graham

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Graham,

Firstly, welcome to the world of Cadillac Ownership.

Secondly, the best investment you can make is to purchase the 1959 Shop Manual, and the 1960 Supplement.   Don't get the CD version, as the books with pages is far easier to use.   They always come up on Ebay.

Now, as for the high Beam, you can turn off the Autronic Eye, which is the thing that is sitting on the top of the dash.  This controls the operation of the Automatic Dipping of the high beam.

There is a sensitivity control knurled knob at the rear of the Autronic Eye than can be turned all the way to increase or lessen its' sensitivy, and there is a plug in the Left door opening pilar, just above the door wiring protector that once removed, allows one to adjust the dimming capacity.

From page 14-28 of the Shop Manual, (2) describes:
Depress the override section of the Foot Switch.   The headlights should change to upper beam if the Foot Switch is in the Automatic position.   If not, ratchet the Foot Switch and again deporess the override section.   The lights should no change to the upper beam.   When the overrice section of the Foot Switch is released, the headlamps should return to low beam.

The one on my own '60 CDV was useless as I fitted higher wattage lights in the high beam and any reflection from roadsigns would cause instantaneous dipping.   Modern-day roadsigns are far more reflective than those of old.

If all else fails, unplug the amplifier harness from the Autronic Eye.

Plus, I think the Dip Switch for the Autronic Eye equipped car is different to the standard car.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

The Tassie Devil(le)

Plus, resist putting Amber turn indicators on the car, as they aren't required on any car built prior to 1972, when ADR's came into being.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

grazza7755

Hi Bruce,
Thanks for the welcome.
I think unplugging it would be the best initially.
Where is this plug?
Thanks,
Graham

eldo59

Just cover the auto eye with a black towel and the high beams will come on, simple.
Mauro Bonfitto