News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Optical Fiber for 78 Eldorado

Started by waterzap, July 14, 2014, 10:21:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterzap

My rear optical fiber from the roof to the rear lights broke, and I want to replace it. Anyone knows what optical fiber to buy? Are they all the same thickness? Who sells this stuff?
Leesburg, AL

beastly beauties

I have experimented in the past with splicing them and had success with no special tooling. If you have enough cable to reach, you will have to square off the two ends you wish to join together. You can use a razor blade and keep rolling it on the fibre without lifting it in the same spot all the way around until you cut through. Do not use pressure to cut these ends as it will disfigure the end you need to be flat. Flatness will ensure the light traveling through the fibre will be its brightest when the two ends meet. Next find the appropriate diameter shrink tubing. Taking at least a 1" long piece of tubing slip it over  one of the fibres and then bring the two ends together making sure that both end surfaces remain in contact with each other. Slip the shrink tubing evenly over the ends and shrink with minimum heat. This method has worked for me in the past with great results. If you need to replace these fibres I would try www cadillacville.com. He probably has what you need in used parts.     Good Luck   David Symonds