News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cadillac posts, start with year, followed by model, then trouble

Started by Scot Minesinger, July 31, 2014, 06:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

Most club members are experts at a few years and not on others.  It might be best if everyone started with the year, then model, and follow it with what the trouble is.  Sometimes people can tell by knowing someone and what year they have.  This way saves more of detective skills for diagnosing the trouble. 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

chrisntam

Great idea, it would also help narrow the searches as well.  I like to write "1970" and search for that instead of "70".

I'm sure I speak for all of the newbies here, we are very appreciative of the wisdom provided. 

8)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Jay Friedman

Yes, I agree, as I'm sometimes perplexed as to what type of Cadillac has the problem.  As Scot Minesinger said, I'm one of those who only know certain Cadillac models (48 to about 53) and can't really help with other years, so knowing the year of the car in the title of the posting would be useful.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Julien Abrahams

I agree. I'm also very appreciative about the knowledge that people on here have ;). After a tip, I put the year, model etc. in the signature, so it should be there everytime I post something. I also put my other cars in there, but just to show off :D. All questions I post are about the Cadillac. For the Brit (Austin Healey) I go to www.mgexp.com.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

Jay Friedman

Julien, I would suggest that you put 1967 in the subject line of your posting, or at least in the first line of the text, so that those of us, like me, who know little or nothing about '67s would be alerted before opening the file.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

TJ Hopland

Those three pieces of info are good because even if you are not an expert on that particular year its possible that the problem may not be specific to that year.

My area is 70's and 80's so I will look at any post with those years in it to see if I can help or learn something.   If I am in a hurry that's all I will look for.   If I have a little free time I will then look at subjects that seem like they could maybe be in my era.   Its only when I have a lot of extra time that I will look at posts that are years outside my norm.  The last stuff I read is the 'problem with my car' subjects.

Its getting to the point what tire to buy questions could have their own section too.   It seems to come up a few times a week lately and maybe if it was all in its own section it would be easier to search and gather info since the word tire comes up fairly often not related to what to buy. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

TJ Hopland

Another thing that would be really helpful is if in your signature or post you at least give us a clue as to your location.  We don't need your street address or even city if you are not comfortable posting that but at least knowing the country would help.     The advice may be quite different for someone in the USA vs other parts of the world where parts and experience could be pretty rare. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Jason Edge

Basic info in the subject line, and then some details in the body of the post will save everyone a lot of time. I've been selling parts and answering questions regarding the 1963 and 1964 Cadillacs  for 18 years and its crazy how many emails I get that start out something like "I need a door for my Cadillac, do you have any?" No year, no body styles, doesn't mention left or right, front or rear, complete or core, much less any details. No consideration of location.  It's like someone needs information but you have to pry the details out of them. But, there are those that have year, body style and specifics and their location and I can usually wrap my response up in one email instead of a 1/2 dozen. It is so crazy with some, I have to create an email folder just for these customers and contacts because I know it is going to take many emails to ever determine what their question is or what their part need is.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373