News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1938 60S ignition coil removal

Started by Bob Martin, August 13, 2014, 05:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Martin

Poster Joe Ceretti gave me some advice on removal. But I'm still a bit nervous doing it, as I don't want to break the + connection in the coil.
Shop manual shows a picture with the cap removed, showing + connection.
Do I just wiggle the coil carefully, holding the cap pin place , and the the coil base comes off?
Or do I attempt to pry cap off.
Thanks,
Bob Martin
CLC Member 28309
Bob Martin
CLC # 28309
1938 60S, #6273078

joeceretti

You loosen the coil bracket and then carefully turn the coil counterclockwise while holding the cap in place.. turn it about 1/4 inch or so and then the coil should come out the bottom. It's just a cap. The wire is inside on a terminal post and has plenty of flex. You can't really break it unless you are hercules.

Also, it's actually a - connection inside the coil cap on your car.

joeceretti

I couldn't stand the damn crinkle paint on my coil so I stripped it and repainted. It's drying now.

Bob Martin

Joe, do you ever sleep?  :)
Bob Martin
CLC Member 28309
Bob Martin
CLC # 28309
1938 60S, #6273078

joeceretti

It's 5:28 in the afternoon/evening so I hope I am not sleeping right now. I might like to nap around 3:30 though. Besides, you were awake at the same time as me. :)

No, I don't sit waiting at my computer for questions. I have a phone.

Oh yeah, send me pictures of your car!!!!!! Not very many 38 60 Specials out there! Engine bay please.... how original is it?

Bill Ingler #7799

In addition to Joe`s posting, if the cap appears stuck, please look at the Delco recommended way below of removing the cap from the coil. Look at the ignition wire fastened to the coil under the cap. If you have any hint of bad insulation on that wire, the wire needs to be replaced. Bad insulation on this wire can cause a dead short leading to a hot key, leading to GM being branded to your fingers once you turn the ignition key to off.  Bill

joeceretti

Bill, you are an unending source of these documents!!!!!!!

Bob Martin

This makes it much easier to understand.
Picture is worth a thousand words!
Thanks
Bob Martin
Bob Martin
CLC # 28309
1938 60S, #6273078