News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1948 Cadillac Assistance Needed....

Started by Coupe Deville, October 09, 2014, 11:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupe Deville

Hello everyone. This is not my usual era of knowledge with Cadillac's but my friend has a 1948 convetible that he has repainted and is putting it back together. We have a question about the weatherstripping. Both rear quarter windows have those fuzzie strips that run along the inside of the trim on the outside of the glass so that there is no visible gap in between the glass and the pice of trim. The front two windows have no fuzzie strip or weather stripping. There is about a half inch gap between the outside of the glass and the chrome trim on the outside of the door. This is the way it was when he got the car. It really doesn't look right with this gap. What is supossed to be there? A rubber pice? Where does it attach? Or is there supossed to be nothing? I apologize for not having pictures. I hope I explained this well. Thank you for any information you can provide.

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Steve Passmore

We have been disusing this on another thread here recently, a window sweeper is usually attached to the trim between it and the glass, this could be rubber or fuzzy. Convertibles are probably different than hardtops.  I'm not familiar with 48 but on my 41 the factory stapled them on. other years were clips or screws or staples or all of the above.
Check out 'Steele Rubber' catalog for that year they show a rubber strip with a chrome beaded edge part number  70-0536-58
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

johnwalker

My 49 convert has nothing there. The chrome window frame would interfere if there was.
1949 6207
1950 6137
1940 6019S 3 window coupe
1948 olds 98 sedanette
1947 diamond t pickup
1930 model a roadster/392 hemi
1949 cadillac woodie (was a buick)
1933 chrysler royal 8 3 window coupe
1977 930
1987 911 cab widebody
1969 911E

Bill Ingler #7799

Gavin: I am not that familiar with a 48 but it should not be that much difference than the 47. The convert chrome frame on the door window glass adds width to the door run channel in the end of the door, that causes the larger gap between the door window glass and the top of the door chrome garnish moldings. A window fuzzie attached to either the interior or exterior garnish moldings on top of the door would serve no purpose.   Bill

Caddy Wizard

I am working on a 49 convertible right now.  It appears that there is not supposed to be any weatherstrip or fuzzy between the glass and polished stainless steel trim molding on the outside of the door.  There IS a fuzzy strip on the inside of the glass, mounted to sheet metal brackets that get screwed to the top of the inside part of the door.  Here is a picture of those sheet metal brackets.  I am having to make some of these (a couple of these are a bit too rusty for my satisfaction), and might make extras, if folks would be interested.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Jeff Maltby 4194

I couldn't imagine it without the fuzzy strip myself, so I asked Herman D. to reply.

Here's the chrome strip with fuzzy attached on my 52 buick sedan drivers door.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

harry s

There are no fuzzies or sweeps on either side of the glass. There are adjustable rollers and guides that hold the glass in place. Here is a picture showing the placement. I also checked the window garnish and they are plain with no evidence of any sweeps having been on them.    Harry
PS I have tried several times to post the picture but no luck. I'll try again later.
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Caddy Wizard

I don't know about the 48 convertible, but on a 49 convertible there definitely are sweeps (fuzzies) on the inside of the glass.  The brackets shown in the picture I posted last week are for the sole purpose of bearing the sweeps and holding them against the inside of the glass.  Sweeps are held to the brackets with staples, brackets held to the tops of the insides of the doors with short #8 sheet metal screws...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)

harry s

I tried the picture again and it still won't post. I'm not sure what the problem is. Art after looking at your pictures and my '48 they seem to be different. I don't have the strip that a sweep would attach to on the inside window opening. There is a bracket with a verticle roller on the inside and the outside in the middle of the opening that presses on the glass and then the two horizontial rollers, one at the front and one at the rear. Once the chrome trim piece is attached to the outer door top and the window garnish moulding is in place there is a gap that is filled by the window frame when it is down as Bill mentioned. Given the set up on the '48 I would say the '49 is an upgrade.   Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Caddy Wizard

Here are pictures of the top of a 49 convertible door with the strips omitted.  You can see the various holes in the top of the inside of the door.  If your doors don't have these holes, the car probably didn't have the strips...
Art Gardner

harry s

Mine doesn't have the holes only the glass guides I mentioned. Here goes with picture again.   Harry   Picture still won't post. I did one a week ago and it worked. Don't know what the problem is. Oh well.
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Coupe Deville

Hello again everyone. Thank you all very much for responding, it is greatly appreciated. As I said before I am not very knowledgeable in this era of Cadillac but would it be safe to say that 48' 6267 convertibles did not have these window fuzzies but people are adding them? How does that sound? Just want to be able to give a solid conclusion to my friend.

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

harry s

I think that would be a good conclusion. The addition of those strips could also have been a mid year improvement sometime during the '48 run. It also seems like a reasonable addition as far as fit and sound control go.    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Caddy Wizard

I just studied the 1948 body book last night and didn't see any photos showing the strips for 48.
Art Gardner