News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'80 Eldorado in St. Louis inspection

Started by eshane, January 13, 2019, 10:33:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eshane

Good morning. Is there a member local that could take a look at this for me?   This car is at Classic Car Studios in St. Louis (on their website and on eBay).  I have spoken with Noah Alexander (owner).  There are no undercarriage photos of the car.  I would drive it back to Florida, but am concerned about roadability.  Car is at the top end price-wise.  Trying not to buy sight unseen.  I'm not a seventh-generation expert by any means.  Appears very nice, but caveat emptor.  Read way too many horror stories while on this forum.  I don't mean a full blown PPI, although if there is a expert member, or if one can be recommended, I'd happily pay for the inspection.  Any other member thoughts or recommendations on this car would be greatly appreciated

suchan

Hire an appraiser. Compared to buying a bad car, it's cheap insurance. You might not be able to find a member familiar enough with that late a model Eldo to be comfortable playing expert, and there's a LOT to look for. Do not buy sight unseen, no matter what the seller tells you, or what his/her reputation might be, or his photos seem to show. I got burned buying a car from a noted Cadillac restorer by relying on testimonials, smart phone pics and his own glowing descriptions.
Drive from St Louis to Florida in the winter in a 38-year-old car you just purchased? You might want to rethink that.
Southworth, Washington
CLC #28060
1937 LaSalle 5019 Sedan
Cars that got away:
1930 Ford Model A Roadster and AA Flatbed
(2) 1938 Buick Sedans
1942 Chev Blackout Coupe
1953 Ford F100
1955 Ford Victoria
1956 Sedan DeVille
1962 Peugeot 403
1965 Peugeot 404
1971 Eldorado Convertible

chrisntam

Get a cheap air-fare, meet the appraiser and go look at it.  That way you have no surprises.  The cost of the air fare and time spent are well worth it.

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

eshane

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough.  I'd be happy to pay for a PPI as stated, but I am hoping there could be a member recommended one.  Way too many horror stories about poor PPI's also.  Any member have experience with a good inspector in the St Louis area?

Thx

James Landi

Elbert,

Your request for a member in St. Louis should yield a result from a willing participant, and I know I'd want someone from the club to look before I purchased a plane ticket.  I also concur with others  that should you decide to purchase the car, have it shipped.    James

eshane

Thank you. James.  I'm patient, knowing what the weather is like in St. Louis right now.  ;)

Caddyholic

I Can do it if my schedule fit in your time frame. I live 40 min from that shop. I PM'ed you.
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I too can look at it
However I have no experience with an 80 Eldo.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Cape Cod Fleetwood

This is where the membership directory could come in handy.
Dial St. Louis/MO... look for owners of 'that' car or other 80's, and reach out to them?

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

eshane

Thank you. Jeff.  Jim Lumma is going to look at it for me.

e.kempton

How did the inspection go?  Was the car as nice as it looks? 

eshane

Just spoke with Jim L.  He saw the car this week, sending me undercarriage photos.  Planned on doing test drive drive, but they informed him when he got there that the transmission was slipping and no test drive allowed.  Would have been nice if they had informed him before his planned trip to inspect.  Will post photos.  Any opinions on slipping tranny?

eshane

GM Turbo Hydromatic THM-325, Oldsmobile 350 (CA) model

James Landi

Transmission issues can sometimes occur with cars that are simply not used enough--- transmission fluids can leave deposits if the oil in the casing is not heated up to full temperature.  I've had several older cars with low mileage appear to need transmission rebuilds, but nursing them along, shifting them "manually," and not forcing unnecessary downshifting, can, over time, renew them to standard performing levels. I purchased a 1985 Biarritz Convertible with less than 20,000 miles ten years ago.  It would sometimes get "stuck" in second gear, but I could get it to shift, by working the gas pedal, and manually shifting it.  Eventually, it worked freely and perfectly-- over time, and with patience.  There are additives that may help you along the way to speed up the self-curative process.  As far as the viability of purchasing this car with a potential major mechanical issue, it's truly a "buyer's market,"  and you'd have to adjust any price to reflect the worse case scenario--- the cost of a rebuild. Hope this helps,   James

cadillacmike68

1980, not a convertible trans slipping... even though it doesn't have the dreaded 4.1L I'd pass.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

TJ Hopland

I would ask more questions about the slipping and how it was diagnosed but even if its a good story I think I would consider the trans a total loss.  You could get lucky and buy yourself some time but sooner or later it will likely need a rebuild.   I don't think there are any especially hard to find parts or that its a unique design that would be hard to service.  Any shop that works on 80's era GM transmissions should be able to handle it.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason